“Good old fashioned service & great food”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 13,823 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
hertfordshire
“Good old fashioned service & great food”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary here in June.
we were seated immediately in a cosy corner and given complimentary champagne (unexpected) the cocktails are worth a try and reasonably priced for the quality.
The fillet steak was the best I've had, easy to eat and perfectly cooked. Try the cheesecake it's superb and not too heavy.
All in all a perfect place for our anniversary.

Visited June 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Excellent steak”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Excellent steak as was the mash potatoes and creamed spinach. Service was a bit slow at times but attentive. Overall and excellent steakhouse with a Herat history.

Visited July 2014
Houston, Texas
“great food & atmosphere, but felt a bit slighted”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Took my father there for his birthday. As soon as we walked in, he exclaimed that THIS felt like a great NYC place (as opposed to other steakhouses we have visited in past years). Seated right away with our reservation, but as a party of 2 we were stuck in a crowded corner right by the door. I understand that it's NYC and a tough place to get in, but it wasn't very comfortable to have my elbow bumped by servers as I ate (and I am a small person).

We both loved our food, and found it comparably priced with other steakhouses in the city with far less atmosphere than this one. The extra $2 for the sauce for steak is absolutely worth it.

Service was great, though a bit inattentive with water service, and the wine and whisk(e)y menus are quite impressive with decent prices.

We were given a free mini-cheesecake (one serving) because I had indicated that we were celebrating a birthday.

Also, restrooms are through the bar, which was quite crowded and difficult to navigate through the crowd.

I would definitely go back, though I'd request a different table.

• Visited June 2014
“More expensive than I expected.”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

While my steak was excellent the prices were terrifying. I was in town on business and between a non alcoholic beverage, my steak and a side, my per diem for the entire day barely covered my dinner. Restaurant had the feel of an old timey club where men went to smoke cigars and women were not allowed to enter. Interesting to look at all the smoking pipes that lined the ceiling but would not return because of the prices.

Visited January 2014
“Best steak ever”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was recommended to us by our tour guide on the real New York tours. One word..."wow" my boyfriend ordered the prime rib and it was huge, but he gladly had every last bite, I ordered the 8oz fillet and it was a perfect size. The service was great and the actual restaurant, it's like your eating in a museum. The ceiling is covered in old smoke pipes and paintings cover the walls. We also saved room for dessert (or made ourselves eat it) best New York cheesecake ever!

Visited June 2014