“Steaks were very good”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Rainy day in New York city with no umbrella or raincoat had me looking for a place close to the hotel. What we found was a very good steak house. Steaks were prepared perfectly. Mine was prepared med. rare while my coworkers was prepared med. we did not have reservations and waited in the bar only a brief while. Tables near us, we saw many selections of meat. Everyone was happy, and joining in with nearby conversations. I would recomend eating there again.

There are newer reviews for Keens Steakhouse

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Legendary. You are stepping into a Dickensian style chop house - albeit, we have two in Manchester, UK, and they could learn a lot from Keens ... Appetisers began events, served upon seating, but we declined the starters in anticipation of the sheer scale of the mutton chop main meal, which was also accompanied by Yukon gold mash, and the creamed spinach (the best I tasted in NY) - quite simply incredible - size, quality, and all round value. This was a tremendous experience, and the wine menu offered reasonable liquid support. The mahogany wood surroundings, pipe collection (?), subtle celebrity endorsements (discreetly signed pipes in the front desk), and attentive, yet not intrusive service, and you have a memorable evening meal - nothing matched it for us in NY - book a table though, or anticipate a wait in the adjoining bar, or being turned away ...

Reviewed April 15, 2014

On holiday from the UK - a cold and rainy night we wanted something close to our hotel. Just around the corner was Keens. All the good reviews are true. We hadn't booked so needed to wait 40 minutes in the bar. A great atmosphere and place to be. Attentive staff and excellent food. The best fillet steak I have had in a long time. The scallops where amazing to start and a key lime pie to share was more than enough. Well priced we thought too. We will recommend to friends and family. Worth booking to avoid the wait although it got quieter around 9pm with no wait time at all.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Our next visit to New York will definitely include a return trip to Keens, our only disappointment was that we only discovered it on our last day. The restaurant is like stepping into a Charles Dickens novel, dark wood walls, ceilings covered in clay pipes and traditionally turned out waiters with waistcoats and long aprons. However, decor and service apart, the food was simply excellent, My husband had the sirloin steak sandwich which was not only cooked to perfection but had the best flavour we have encountered in a long time. i had the burger, highly recommended, followed by the New York cheesecake, which was quite simply the best I've ever had. If you fancy somewhere a bit different and a great a steak, just book this place, you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Apart fro the fact that we were so relieved to get out of the driving rain, -twice I had been drenched by a taxi- this is a really fabulous restaurant. All the ceilings are covered in clay pipes, one for each member, I believe, as it used to be a gentleman's club; when a member died, the shaft was snapped. I know this and lots of information about Keens' history because the maitre 'd was kind enough to show us through the restaurant. Apparently Lily Langtry conducted her affair with Edward the VII here. Throughout the restaurant's levels and rooms there are interesting quirks and layers.
However the food: I had an 8 oz steak and my husband a 12oz, both were cooked perfectly as requested. This is something they do well and are exacting in their standards. If you want a reliable meal that will be exactly what you want- go here. The wine list was good too. Ambiance is great. although next time I would ask for a table on the first floor, just because I prefer being higher! Take any table that is available though and go hungry!