“Exceptional Dining and Historic Landmark”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Keen’s is an exceptional dining experience and has more historic relics than most museums. We reserved via Open Table, and were promptly seated. The service was professional and the food was fantastic. The Host, Gary, was very hospitable and offered a private tour of the 3-story restaurant, to include artifacts from Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt. A Great New York dining experience.

2  Thank jerryberry72207
Write a ReviewReviews (5,690)

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I'm a left-coaster now, nearly nine years away from the East and more than 25 out of New York, so I had not been to Keens for some years. A friend suggested we meet there during a recent visit. The place was crowded for a weekday evening but with front-of-the-house management that got us to a comfortable table in one of the many subsections. And, oh the steak! First-rate. Perhaps I am more prosperous these days but I also found the prices fair even though I remembered Keens as expensive.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We dined here whilst on a five day stay in NY. We reserved a table on Open Table a few weeks prior to our stay. We received a warm welcome on arrival. Unfortunately the bar was so busy we were unable to enjoy an aperitif before going to our table. Our table was in a smaller room upstairs. The room was busy with plenty of chatter. We enjoyed wonderful classic martinis whilst perusing the menu. The steaks were cooked to perfection and the sides ( creamed spinach and mushrooms ) were tasty. Our waiter was attentive and made an excellent recommendation for dessert ( bananas Foster). The wine list was comprehensive and we savoured an smooth Cabernet Sauvignon and luscious Sauternes.
If we visit New York again we will certainly return as the food and service were wonderful.

3  Thank Garlen W
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

This was our splurge meal and we were very happy to have picked this place to do it at. The food was superb, even for my wife who doesn't eat meat. The side dishes were meals in themselves. I shared a chateaubriand with a friend (it's portioned for two) and was impressed how they did not over-season in order to leave room for the sauces (three included with the dish -bernaise, -wine reduction and -mushroom, and they were all excellent). The atmosphere is what took it over the top for me. To see actual pieces of history, including Theodore Rosavelt and Babe Ruth's personal smoking pipe is a testament to just how storied this establishment is, another great experience if you're in New York. BTW, along the same lines price wise as a Ruth's Chris but just a way cooler place to eat, however, if you want to experience the top cuts, bring a friend to share it with, both the porterhouse and chateaubriand are served for two! My daughter (7 yrs) had a filet and they butterflied it for her to make sure it was really well done, it was prepared perfectly the first time! Total for the four of us (including the 2 portioned chateu, filet, a salad for my wife, 5 different sides -grilled vegetable -mushroos -creamed spinich -mashed potatoes -baby potatoes, a couple of soft drinks and a dessert that we all split --we were full and had lots of leftovers) totaled in at $240 pretip.

1  Thank HiReview
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We walked in without a reservation and were thrilled to get a great little table for 2 on a busy Wednesday night. I started with a sweet bubbly glass of raspberry champagne. My husband had the lobster bisque - it is not a traditional bisque but still very good. It was thinner and not as rich as others. I had an 8 oz filet with au poivre and my husband had the mutton. My steak was perfectly prepared. It was the first time my husband had ever eaten mutton, and he said it lived up to its "legendary" status. We shared a hot fudge sundae for dessert. Homemade ice cream, totally delicious. We will be back!

2  Thank floridacookie8