“Big Steak !”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 14,431 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Reviewed March 17, 2014

WE visited Keens in our 5 day trip. On arrival the place was heaving with people !! however we had a nice table and great service. At 1st I felt a little out of place as the place was full of business men etc, until you realise you are not in a holiday resort - you are in NYC

Steak was huge, and i mean huge. Excellently cooked. No veg with meal as you need to buy all of these separate, at $12 a pop... wish we'd have realises this before we ordered the whole menu lol.

The team brought a nice birthday cake for my partner which was a nice treat.

All in all great food, on the pricey side, but remember where you are.

1  Thank Mike A
Write a ReviewReviews (5,647)

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I was a little skeptical going in. I had been told how great this place was, so my expectations were high. While the decor is interesting, the pipes on the ceiling really held no interest for me. The food is what I went for. Our group of three ordered the porterhouse for two and the t-bone. For sides we had the baby potatoes, creamed spinach, and French fries. We also had the crab cakes and the seafood cocktail. For dessert we had creme brûlée and the bananas foster.

So after a brief wait, our waiter came and took our drink order. I tried the cobbler cocktail. It was ok, but for what I paid, I was hoping for a little more pronounced flavor (not alcohol, which was enough). The bread was great, but what is with the cold butter? I'm a bread and butter elitist, so cold butter was a big disappointment. They brought out a plate of crudités, with blue cheese dip, which was very good. The seafood cocktail was amazing. Sweet seafood and a decent dressing. The crab cake was ok, but dry.

Now, the main course. The steak was the most tender steak I have ever had. The flavor was excellent. We asked for medium, but it came out closer to medium-rare (not an issue for me, but the person sharing with me was a bit hesitant with the rarer cuts). The baby potatoes are to die for. The fries are not worth ordering. I didn't try the creamed spinach myself, but let's just say the plate was emptied out quickly by one person, so I guess it was good.

The desserts were ok, but I've had better.

The service was good, but cleaning off the table while we are still eating is a little annoying. Don't appreciate arms hitting me on the head while they take the plates off of the table.

Overall, the food was good, the service good, and the atmosphere ok. The prices are crazy, but comparable to any other big steakhouse in NYC. I would go back for a special occasion, but not worth it for more than once or twice a year.

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Visited Keens while on a shopping trip with my mum. After reading reviews in the build up to our trip I knew we had to visit. I booked our table a few months in advance to make sure we wouldn't have a problem.
When we arrived on the night there were a lot if people waiting to be seated and a few people that had come in hoping to get a table... No chance! It was heaving.. So glad I had booked. When I gave the head of house our name, he checked and it turned out that our reservation was for the night before!! I reserved the table via TripAdvisor so not sure where it went wrong. Anyway.. They were amazing. Told me that they would have a table for us shortly and within 5 mins we were seated. All food was fantastic.. We both went for the fillet which was the best i have ever tasted. It literally melted in the mouth. Everything about the food was first class. We had cocktails which were in a league of their own too!
Only slight negative I can say about the experience is that the tables are soooo close to each other. ( the ones that sit along the wall) They must be literally cm's apart so there isnt a lot of privacy.

I would definitely go back.. In a heart beat. I would just make sure to reserve a table in the middle of the room as opose to the Outer seating.

Amazing though! Definitely reccomend

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I had dinner here with my wife and parents. It's always a little tricky trying to find a place that both audiences will like due to age and taste differences. But this place really fit the bill. All 4 of us found different cocktails to enjoy and then all 4 of us had great steaks (the same cut as it turned out). The sides that we got were fantastic as well. The service was attentive and not overbearing. Overall, this was a fantastic experience.

As a suggestion, you might want to call for reservations. We used OpenTable and couldn't get anything before 9:00. We got there a few minutes early and the restaurant wasn't particularly full. I'm not sure if they block off a set of times on OpenTable or whatnot, but in retrospect we should have called to see if a slightly earlier time was available.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We got a great table in the corner of the lovely dining room. There's a lot of character here. We went for the PorterHouse to share but we should have went for the chateaubriand - the server recommended the PorterHouse but I think if he had asked us what we normally had etc, he would have realised the chateaubriand would have been more to our taste.

The service was a bit quick for my liking and it was hard to get their attention; we also had to ask for the bill three times so not worth the 15-20% tip that they like you to give (and I'm a good tipper!)

I wouldn't go for the fries again - the taste just wasn't worth the calories.