“Great Dining Experience”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Went the week before Thanksgiving, streets somewhat busy for holiday window displays. Since we chose a late lunch, we did not have to wait for a table. Service was very good, atmosphere good and our food was very good! Would go again!

2  Thank Sabrina813
There are newer reviews for Keens Steakhouse

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We walked pretty far to come eat here because of all the reviews and I wouldn't say I was let down but I wasn't blown away either. When we walked in we were seated right away and the atmosphere was nice.

We started out by ordering the crab cakes which were really good with a lot of flavor. They bring out rolls which is always nice and they were nice and warm (I love that). For our entrees My mother ordered the fillet and lobster and she thought it was just ok. I personally thought her portions were a bit on the small side for the price. I had the NY sirloin and it was good but I had to send it back to the kitchen because I ordered it well and it was really red in the center. By the time it came back out my mother was done with her meal which was unfortunate because I was essentially eating alone. Also, we ordered a side of mashed potatoes that I thought were really delicious!

All in all I thought this place was ok. I would recommend this place but I wouldn't over sell it either. If you want a good steak and on the expensive side go here!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Wanted to find somewhere special to take my wife during the Christmas holidays and the reviews led me here.
As mentioned by others, this has a really old steakhouse "feel;" LOVE the clay pipes everywhere and the old-world ambience is definitely part of the charm.
Very attentive and polite waitstaff (although our waiter was a wee bit stiff, at first) and the chateaubriand for two, while very expensive, was absolutely perfect, cooked to order and seasoned perfectly.
We went with the old steakhouse standards, creamed spinach (delicious) and the hash browns (not what we expected...sort of bland and not crisp at all...taking off for that...shouldn't be an issue).
Celery and carrot crudites with a delicious dipping sauce, along with very crusty and warm bread, opened the meal.
In summary, one of the top 7-8 steakhouses we've been to over the years (but not in our top five), and definitely worth a visit if you're looking for a special treat while visiting Manhattan.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We went to Keens on our last night in NY. Well what can I say apart from we just couldn't fault it. The food was beautiful & the service was excellent with really friendly staff. Would I recommend? MOST DEFINATLY !!

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Great steak. Probably one of the best I had. Good wine list too. Would recommend and would go again. Great place for steak lovers. Better than hawksmore London