“I wish I got the porterhouse and not the mutton”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Cozy wood panelled atmosphere with a lovely old style bar for drinks before dinner.
Typical steakhouse, everything priced a la carte. People game after us but they were served first. I suggest that you don't get the mutton as it is very hard.
Atmosphere rocks but I suggest to try classic meat plates !

Write a ReviewReviews (5,465)

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I went with a corporate group to this restaurant. The steak was of good quality, but the quantities were obscene. Many of those attending found it hard to even make a reasonable impact on the food and spent the evening discussing the waste / immorality of the offering.

I was asked to order and I ordered a bacon dish to start and then a steak. The waiter asked me to order a dessert and I said "Can I decide about that later?" He said "It's not normal, and looked disapprovingly at me". I said "I'm not normal so I will order later". A couple of colleagues followed suit. I'm so glad I did this as there would have been even more waste.

I was to run an evening event there and we had asked to be able to play some music there. This was all agreed and technicalities checked, but on the evening the staff were obstructive, saying that my iPod must be 'different'. I am a musician and decided not to tell them that piece of information.

2  Thank academyofrock
Reviewed September 7, 2013

First and foremost, steaks were perfect. The service was impeccable. One of our party has some food allergies and the servers were helpful and supportive. We never felt anything but fun and delight. The restaurant is historic and that was interesting, too. Just a great evening. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Pn J
Reviewed September 7, 2013

While in the city over Labor Day weekend, I made a reservation for Saturday evening. We arrived a little early, but they had our table ready and were able to go ahead and seat us. (The only negative issue we experienced the entire evening was that the tables were EXTREMELY close together. The servers have to pull the table out in order for the person to sit down on the back side of the table, and it makes conversing difficult when you can hear everything at the tables on either side of you and you know that they can hear you.) Having said that, it was still one of the most enjoyable meals I had all weekend. My friend and I shared a bowl of the bisque, which was divine! And then we each ordered a filet. OH MY GOODNESS.....it was the best thing ever! It just melted in your mouth. I ordered the hash browns as a side, and my friend ordered the baby potatoes, of which neither one of us ate anywhere near half (that's not to say they weren't good, because they were wonderful as well). This place is pricey, and if you aren't hearty eaters, you might want to consider sharing at least a side dish, but it is definitely worth the $ if you are a steak lover!

1  Thank KLJ718
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

As one of the oldest steakhouses in the city, Keens never fails to deliver an exceptional dining experience. I was back four times in different years and always found it as exceptional as the first time. Aside from the excellent meat, the wine list is extensive, paired up with an impeccable old school table service.
I recommend the succulent lamb chops, but all the menu offers is excellent, the filet mignon, the chateaubriand, etc.,
all while dining in a setting with a historical background. The dining room just invites savoring food and conversation in a characteristic, pleasant, no nonsense, no-loud-music-in-the-background setting. Amidst the smorgasbord of steakhouses in the city, this is a true gem that is worth the trip to a not so distinctive close-to-garment district location.