“Absolutely delicious, impeccable service”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 14,026 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here a couple of hours ago and it was delicious. We found it here on Trip Advisor and called ahead for reservations. They didn't have any available for 2 hours, said the girl on the phone -- it was "a very busy night here". She also wouldn't guess how long the wait would be if we just showed up. We decided to take our chances, mainly because we both wanted steak and it was only a couple blocks from the hotel. I am very glad we ignored her discouraging information and went anyway -- we walked in, went straight to our table without a minute's delay. I couldn't tell you why she wouldn't make us a reservation until 9:30 when they clearly had at least 20% empty tables, but whatever. We ignored her, for which I am glad.

Our porterhouse for two was perfectly prepared, and the sides --- creamed spinach and hash browns -- tasted great (altho they came to the table a little cold, but we ate them anyway and they were still good.) The hash browns are more like a big potato pancake, fyi.

Our waiter, Dennis, was outstanding -- service exactly like I like it -- unobtrusive, not rushing us out the door, filled water glasses, our steak came out so fast I was a little shocked to tell you the truth, and friendly.

The only quibble (other than the hostess discouraging us from heading over to Keens in the first place) is that the restaurant was HOT. We were seated upstairs and it was very hot and stuffy. I know the whole city was hot as hades today, but really, bring in some portable A/C or something. At $100. each I was not enjoying sweating while sitting at the table. Downstairs felt a lot cooler -- ask to sit there.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

A great meal. We ordered the chatabriand and it was amazing. We were the twice and the service and the meal was excellent both times. The first time the atmosphere was loud and busy. People were talking loud and we had to raise out voice to be able to talk to each other. The second time was earlier on the day and it was much better.

The mushroom sauce was great and I ordered the roasted vegetables on the side. Both were great. I ordered the cream brûlée for dessert. The first time it was a real burnt taste on the sugar on top. The next times it was perfect!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The last meal of our stay in New York City, and probably the best of the trip. We had lunch there before heading to La Guardia airport. It's like an Irish bar with a low ceilings decorated with thousands of clay pipes, dark wood panelling, browned prints/paintings on the walls, framed newspapers, very comforting. The service was impeccable, with helpful tips and descriptions from the waiter. As it was lunch we opted for entrees only, but enjoyed some delicious freshly baked bread while waiting. More diners arrived, like a scene from Ad Men, the movers and shakers of NYC sat down...
I had the "legendary" mutton chop, my partner the filet mignon with mushroom sauce. Absolutely the best piece of lamb I have ever eaten, perfectly meedium rare, full of flavour, the filet was perfect too, the mushroom sauce packed with flavor. We could not indulge in desserts, but I did glance through the extensive single malt whiskey menu, fine enough to grace any bar in Edinburgh! Truely a memorable experience.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My partner and I love our steak and often go to top restaurants to try it. I had read reviews of steakhouses before our trip and we decided on Keens and made a reservation.

The restaurant is really nice inside and also has a bar. The service was really good and our glasses were constantly topped up. We didn't get a starter because we saw some of the food and it looked large and you also get a good amount of bread etc... We both had the fillet steaks with pepper sauce, I had mash potato and my partner had chips and we shared creamed spinach. All the food was delicious and we throughly enjoyed spending a couple of hours eating good food and drinking good red wine.

One negative I had, is that the tables were quite close together. This was expected and would not stop me returning.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

the history of the restaurant was really cool! I ordered the 8oz filet, I wish i had ordered a "sauce" to go with it. but the steak was really good, but it just needed a little something more. The other meal was fish and he was really happy with it. the desert of a caramel sundae had sliced almonds that was amazing!