“Great old fashioned steak house in Manhattan”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I visited a few days ago during our first ever trip to NY. This place was near our hotel and we always look for a good steak everywhere we go. We were not disappointed. The prime rib was as good as any I've ever had. My only complaint was that our sever adamantly convinced us to get the T Bone instead of the ribeye. Our normal 'go to' move is for one of us to order the prime rib (if we trust the restaurant to do it right) and the other orders the ribeye and then share a little bit. The T Bone was good but not great. I am a very avid fan of the ribeye and I've learned my lesson for straying. Please forgive us sweet delicious Ribeye, we won't make that mistake again. Other than that the food and service were great. It is, of course, pricey. It's a nice steakhouse in the middle of Manhattan so I guess that comes with the territory. Side note, I called ahead to ask about dress code and the lady politely told me "We don't have a dress code. Whatever you are comfortable in we are comfortable with." You will see a lot of people in suits but there was also a younger gentleman seated at the table next to us wearing jeans and a Hanes V neck undershirt, and it wasn't fresh out of the package either. He probably abused the 'no dress code' policy a bit, but you can definitely get away with jeans and a nice shirt and not feel uncomfortable or under-dressed.

1  Thank Domn8r59
Write a ReviewReviews (5,601)

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We made a last-minute lunch reservation at Keens for my entire family(5 kids, 6 adults) after we decided to visit the nearby Empire State Building. Keens arranged tables for us and were very friendly to my grandkids. The restaurant has been around a long time and is the only survivor of the Herald Square Theatre District according to their website. The kids wanted to know what was with all those fascinating long smoking pipes on the ceiling and learned that Keens has the largest collection of churchwarden pipes in the world. The service was excellent and the food delicious. I had the sea scallops which were as good as I've ever had. Three others had the 8oz. Filet Mignon which they said was perfect. Although we were seated in the Dining Room they had no objection to our ordering from the Pub menu( lobster roll,chicken fingers). All in all, a lunch to remember.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Just round the corner from our hotel, this offered an expensive night out but the biggest steaks ever, perfectly cooked with a rugby sized baked potato. Best meal I had on this visit to the States. Would go again

Reviewed June 20, 2013

amazing little nooks and crannies - such a great A+ experience. Excellent service and delicious food!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The beginning of our dinner was a little bit odd. At the entrance, on the ground floor, the host asked us to climb to the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor's host send us to the 3rd floor, to a tiny noisy room that was impossible to sit in for more than 2 seconds. I went down stairs to ask the host to find us room on the main restaurant floor. In the end we got a nice table in a large room.. They served us bread and butter, some carrots, celery and pickles,which were extreemely good.
We ordered Filet Mignon with Lobster and Alaska Halibut with sweet potatoes. We also ordered 2 side dishes of hash brown potatoes and sauteed mushrooms. The food was very good, it almost managed to to make us forget the whole issue of finding a decent table at the restaurant. Keen's Steakhouse seems to be very popular for large groups of men, who can be very noisy.....
For dessert we had Butterscotch sundae, which was nice, nothing to write home about. It's definitely not going to be "my favorite steakhouse" in New York, obviously I am not their target customer.....

2  Thank Sharon_zz