“Great service and enjoyed the experience, but...”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 13,630 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Cheshire
“Great service and enjoyed the experience, but...”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

From the UK and my wife and I came to NY for 5 nights to celebrate us both turning 40 in May. We wanted to eat at a nice steakhouse and Keens came highly recommended. We booked well in advance but on the day we were hungry sooner than we thought so we called a few hours before to see if they could bring our reservation forward by an hour, which they were able to do with the minimum of fuss.

We really liked the vibe of Keens and we had a nice table. I can't fault the service and our starters were great and so was desert. When I booked over the phone I informed they it was for a special joint 40th birthday and we shared desert and they gave us an extra little desert and put candles in both, which was a really nice touch.

The only downside to our experience and the reason of my 'enjoyed the experience, but' was that the steak was average.

We ordered the porterhouse for 2 to share. The cut was huge so no complaints with the portion size and we asked for it medium and again it was cooked to how we asked. However the steak itself was a little tasteless and the sirloin cuts were a bit tough and chewy.

Maybe we were unlucky with the cut of beef we had but for $100 and going there primarily for the steak, it was disappointing.

As I say, the rest of the experience and service was great so I would recommend this to people and hope they have better luck with their cut of meat!

Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
Fallston, Maryland
“Better than anticipation”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We asked for and received a free standing table for two as we hate banquette seating. Greeted warmly by hostesses. Served by Nick on the first level and countless other folks, all with a smile on their faces, and very attentive. We ate sparsely for Keen's--the double mutton chop and creamed spinach along with a glass of cabernet for him and a homemade limeade for me. Price of lunch $81. Absolutely exquisite food. Hot rolls in advance. Lamb was sliced, cooked to perfection, served with delicious homemade mint jelly. Spinach was plentiful and perfect--simple, fresh and very tasty. No problems in splitting the two items and we were pleasantly satiated when leaving for our show. On the way out, hostess Alanna asked if we'd been there before and offered a tour. She was simply delightful. Showed us every room and filled us in on so much history, including the famous pipes. Our son had recommended trying this restaurant and we were thrilled. Seeing an institution, learning, and having a wonderful lunch was a great NY experience.

• Visited June 2013
London, England
“Enormous steaks!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Keens is something of a New York institution and, judging from the signatures on its famous pipes all around the rooms, one that has been visited by the great and the good down the decades. It is definitely advisable to book. We did (using Open Table) and had a small boothed area - otherwise it was very crowded even on a Sunday evening. Steaks are, of course, a speciality though I also noticed such things as mutton chops on the menu. We had decided on steaks in advance - my partner chose a T-bone and me a sirloin. His was ENORMOUS mine only a little bit smaller - far too big really which meant that we left quite a bit. They also mixed up my medium rare with his medium which left his a bit too bloody near the T bone. That quibble aside, service was attentive without being pushy, the food of high quality and the ambience extremely attractive.

Visited June 2013
UK
“It's a 3.5 in my view. Overpriced for what it is. Poor customer service.”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Keens was just a block away from our hotel and was very highly rated on trip advisor, so we decided to give it a try. It certainly had that "New York Buzz" in fact it was very noisy. We were tucked away in a corner when we could have been given a better table, the waiter seemed more interested in getting us in, fed and gone ready for the next cover, and tip that he barely deserved. The food was no better than good, most sides were extra, the wine was served only just cool, not chilled and we had to top up our own glasses as the waiter couldn't be bothered. I have had better steaks at a local pub restaurant here in the UK, without the "attitude". If you look at my other reviews you can see that I try to assess a place not just on price but value for money, and the the overall experience. I would not dream of going back to Keens Steakhouse as we found better dining experiences in NYC, and we only had very limited time to explore. They could learn a lot from the Boston restaurants.

• Visited May 2013
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Steak I've ever had”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I love a good Steak, and Keens delivered big time on my recent visit. I did a fair bit of research into various Steak houses in NY before my visit and I decided to go with Keens - It's fair to say I wasn't disappointed.

The setting is very rustic and classy and the waiters are helpful, but not over-bearing - basically they leave you to eat your meal rather than fussing - this I prefer.

Food wise I went for the Lobster bisque (Superb) and the T-Bone Steak (Even better). Not cheap, but you get what you pay for, and that's quality.

For anyone who's not sure about whether to give Keens a go, do it.

• Visited June 2013