“Great value for great Spanish food in Midtown Manhattan”
Review of El Pote Espanol

El Pote Espanol
Ranked #2,037 of 14,292 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've been going to El Pote for over 25 years. I live in the city, I work nearby, and at least twice a month I have lunch there we a few Spanish colleagues. El Pote has never let me down and has treated me as an “insider” since day one.

If I go for tapas at the bar, I usually get the stuff peppers (pimientos rellenos), a tortilla de patatas, and/or a portion of serano ham, and with some Tempranillo or great sangria, I go home my merry way. But the lunch menu has to be, by far, the best value-to-quality find in the entire NYC midtown area. Tuesdays and Thursdays is "Paella Lunch Special Day " (at $11.95!). Yet, while paella may be its best known dish, as of lately I have gravitated to the solomillo de cerdo (pork loin). Again, at $11.95, it is hard to believe that such a delicious find can be had in New York. The price just cannot be beat.

However, what keeps me coming back to El Pote, in addition to the good food, are two items: i) The atmosphere of the small bar and dining room, very authentic to a typical Madrilian restaurant of old. It is very quaint and rustic, yet quite functional and by no means dated, and ii) the long time owner, Enrique, who always greets all customers with a warm hello and handshake, and the servers, most of whom have been there as long as I have been going and know the menu like the back of their hand.

My hopes are that El Pote does not succumb to the impossibly high rents of Manhattan, that Enrique never sells it and retires, and that I can keep on enjoying my lunches there for many years to come.

1  Thank NewYorkTraveller_11

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Loved the ambience and the service. Can split meals for a fee, however, it's worth it because the entrees are so large! I recommend the escargot!! Yum!!

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Tapas acceptable, paella marinara needs more seafood , good desserts and cafe

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have been to el Pote five times over the years. The owner came to NYC over twenty years ago and started it then. Make sure you make reservations as it is small and very busy. The paella and other Spanish dishes are truly authentic. It is reasonablly priced. the atmosphere is like being is Europe.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

If you want authentic spanish cuisine that is out of this world, this is the place. I always get Arroz con pollo, con toreso. Amazing. There's enough for 3 meals, so I always take home a doggie bag.
The best thing is the sangria. Made fresh per order. Get the large pitcher. You'll love every drop.

1  Thank Ray55