“Very tasty”

Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

The food was excellent and we all enjoyed the sushi and Sashimi with a Kirin beer my favorite.
A question though: why do the waiters look so scared? The look in their eyes is quite strange. They way they present the fine menu choices is like they have a gun to their head!
A training issue.
We also like that the tip and tax are included in the price.
This issue is really annoying visiting the US.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I read about Sushi Yasuda on this site and many others. All had very positive reviews. I arrived at 6 pm on a Saturday and was seated at a table. I asked for the sushi bar but the maitre'd rudely told me that I could not sit there. Fair enough, but there are nicer ways of saying no.

I asked for the omakase sashimi/sushi (which is what everyone at the restaurant seemed to be having). The pricing is very odd. The waiter provided no indication as to how much it would cost and was not happy with my proposed amount ($100). He told me that the chef would serve me what he felt was the best and that it could be anywhere from $100-$200. Not a great help and frankly not enjoyable because you have no idea what the bill is going to be!

Anyway, on to the food. It all came out lightening fast. First, three types of sashimi. Very good quality, but not outstanding. The pieces were quite small and did not seem to be sliced well (different thickness even for the same fish). No sooner had they cleared my plate, the nigiri arrived (7 pieces). Really, it was only average and therefore disappointing. The rice was too cold and hard for me and the choices of fish did not provide a good enough contrast of taste and texture. Surely, the chef should aim to do this. Feeling that I had room for a bit more, I asked for a toro roll with scallions. This was delicious I must say.

The bill arrived (mercifully closer to $100 than $200!) and I was out of there is 35 minutes. While I did not feel rushed, I would have preferred my food to come out slower. I have read this is the best place for sushi in NYC and comparable to the best in Japan. In my opinion, you can do a lot better with average places in Japan. Frankly, I have had better in Vancouver, Toronto and once in a while even in my home town.

Maybe I was unlucky.

1  Thank Bhaghu
Reviewed October 18, 2013

One of my favorite sushi restaurants in NYC. Very traditional pieces. Definitely order pieces of sushi and sashimi. Great quality, fresh sushi. I would definitely suggest a reservation. Because they get busy, they often say that you will get the table for an hour and a half or two hours. Their omakase is great amazing!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Quality of food was outstanding. You can choose from the menu or choose to go for their 28$ combo which is a very good deal.
Very nice decor as well and you won't be waiting too long for a table if you haven't reserved.
The service is very good as well - However, do not tip as this would be offensive in the japanese culture.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We ate here recently. We had the omakase with our own sushi chef. We have had many experiences at sushi places and by far this was our best experience. We let the sushi chef make whatever sushi he wanted. The sushi was so excellent. The fish was so fresh and tender. The service was excellent. Cannot wait to come back here. Would definitely recommend it to others but bring plenty of cash as it is not cheap. The bill for two of us was $350 and that was on sushi only.