“Excellent High-end Sushi” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sushi Yasuda
Ranked #566 of 13,489 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Midtown
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Excellent High-end Sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

On a father-son trip to NYC with my sushi mad sixteen year old. He picked out Sushi Yasuda and I'm glad he did. We made reservations in advance for a Friday night, but I'm sure we could have gotten in without them, at least that night. Atmosphere is understated oriental. Waitstaff is excellent although hard to understand due to their very thick accents.

You better know something about sushi, because the menu was not written for novices. The waitress did the best she could, but between being a relative novice and her accent, I'm
not sure she really understood me. I wound up just going with the eight piece dinner and her suggestions, at least I think I got what she suggested. There was a lot of pointing involved.

I started with their signature Sake, which was the best I've ever had. I tend to like whitefish sushi, but ventured into tuna and shrimp at my son's urging. I'm glad I did. The pieces are effectively pre- seasoned in their own unique way and don't need any ginger or wasabi. I did dip just a corner into their homemade soy sauce. It was excellent.

The meal was filling so we did not eat dessert. Instead we wandered into nearby GCT and found some sweets in the market there to take with us.

All in all a first rate sushi experience. Moderate to higher price (not exhorbitant by NYC standards ..... $84 for two with sake). No tips allowed

• Visited October 2013

• Turkish first
New York City, New York
“Better if you sit at the bar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We could not get as seat by the sushi bar because we were dining with our two children (13 and 10) and the experience was just so so. First of all, our waitress spoke limited english and did not know the menu very well. Service wasnt that great either. it was very slow and i had to keep asking for my tea cup to be refilled. We ordered the omakase for everyone at the table and all the sushi pieces were brought out in two giant plates! Sushi is supposed to be eaten immediately after it is prepared, not after it sits at the table for 20 minutes. The waitress said this is how serve omakse for table diners, We've had omakase many times before at other sushi joints and it is far more enjoyable if food is brought out two or three pieces at a time, I.e the chef is constantly preparing your food, instead of having massed produced it. Also, they give you a time limit (1.5 hours?) so you do feel rushed. As for the sushi, i didnt think it was anything spectacular. it was fresh but that was about it. I prefer sasabune.

Visited January 2013
Zug, Switzerland
“Excellent sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

The sushi was really fresh from the local markets and the price was really reasonable.
Simple decoration, but good service.

Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Wonderful and really extravagant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had he chef’s selection of sashimi and sushi for two and a bottle of wine (a decent but nothing to write home about Pinot). The food was to die for, and the check was 370 $.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“big expectation, huge disappointment - - -”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Conclusion: Huge disappointment. Yasuda is extremely overrated and its sushi quality sinfully exaggerated by those who think they know sushi. I recently visited Yasuda with clients after seeing a number of superlative comments online, but together left the place to move on to another decent Japanese restaurant in the neighbourhood, to forget and make up for the terrible experience.

The first Tsukidashi at Yasuda was enough to make us anticipate the poor quality of the entire menu...and when choosing they said "sorry we don't have this today" "sorry we don't have that" -with sashimi and sushi - at 6pm, just after opening, on a weekday. You should go and try it for yourselves if you think I have something personal against this place or its people because I don't.

The atmosphere, interior decoration, lighting, sushi bar layout was all simple and good. Guest service was pleasant but mediocre. Note that Sushis come in kindergarten sizes (some with possibly double the market price) , wine glasses are tiny too. I know many sushi places in Manhattan that happily offer joy and excitement for much less. Yasuda needs true professioanls to educate themselves as well as the customers. If they are wise and serious that is.

• Visited September 2013