“Terrible!”

Ranked #9,658 of 14,199 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Benash Delicatessen has been an NYC favorite for more than 15 years. Stop by for a drink or one of our famous corned beef sandwiches.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

It was my first day in New York and late afternoon. From the outside, the place looked cozy and inviting. The weather was very cold and snowing, so I wanted something to eat that would warm me up.
I ordered soup, which arrived almost immediately and was very good.
i hadn't had two spoonfuls of soup when the main course arrived. I hurried to eat the soup, but by the time I got to the main course it was stone cold and inedible.
The waiter had practically thrown it at me. The chips were on the verge of falling off the plate.
Then he immediately demanded payment, as he said his shift was finished.
I refused to hand over my credit card, as I don't let it out of my sight since someone cloned a previous one.
He was tutting and clucking all the way to the cash desk, but there was no way he was going to take it out of my sight and there was also no way he was going to get a tip, as the meal was disgusting.
I paid for the food, which I now regret, and told him that I'd leave a tip in cash when I'd finished, though I had no intention of doing so.
He had previously been in a great hurry to leave, but suddenly decided to hang around.
I left when he eventually got tired of waiting to pick up the tip.

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Horrible don't come here. $6 sharing fees and it cost $17 for a grilled cheese (the only thing that was reasonable for kids... Add it up..$23 bucks for two kids to share ONE horrible grilled cheese.) It was just BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD. DO NOT COME HERE! ID GIVE ZERO STARS IF I COULD.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Twice during our trip en route back to the hotel in the evening we sat and had some cheesecake. The BIGGEST slice of cheesecake I have ever seen!! Unfortunately I struggled to eat such a large slice but they did box it up for me and I finished it once I had room. They were very quick at serving the cheesecake tasting SO good. Not sure what the rest of the menu is like though. Would go again.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Food and service at 1960's Formica tables was good but breakfast for 4 adults was $87! Restroom was a dirty afterthought.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

A friend was visiting from another country and we arranged to meet for lunch. The first choice was the Carnegie Deli (he was a tourist after all) but with the line stretching forever we settled for the Benash which is right across the street. It was also heaving with people as would be expected on a Saturday in Dec in NYC. None the less we were seated straight away at a table tucked away round the corner by the kitchen which was obviously last choice in the place but suited us just fine. This place is not a Michelin star joint and it doesn't pretend to be. I have looked at some of the other reviews and wonder what people were expecting from a NY deli in a tourist area. We were served pretty good standard dishes - hot wings, buffalo mozzarella, hamburger - nothing fancy but well done and set off nicely with a glass of shiraz and a beer. The staff were very, very busy and never did anything at less than a trot but that didn't stop them being pleasant and they were certainly competent.

We lingered while chatting and were never made to feel like we should move on. My friend commented on how good everything had been and I would definitely recommend the Benash with the caveats that it is a NY deli and in a tourist area and expectations should be tempered with those points in mind.