“keep looking for something better”

Benash Delicatessen
Ranked #9,438 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Benash Delicatessen has been an NYC favorite for more than 15 years. Stop by for a drink or one of our famous corned beef sandwiches.
Baltimore, Maryland
“keep looking for something better”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

tourist, just looking for something light to eat...the food was not that great and expensive (got the tomato soup and mini sandwich--my bf swore the soup was just heated up spaghetti sauce), I got the french onion soup; it was okay. Also got the potato pancakes which were horrible. The waiter was a Britsh man and nice but duped us out of a bigger tip than he should've gotten. A 20% tip would've been $7--I gave him my debit card and he said he would have to wait a week for his tip if it was on my card---I told him we'd give him cash. Gave him a $20 bill and asked for change--he brings back two tens....I told him no, we needed a five and five ones...my bf came back to the table @ that point from the bathroom and the waiter changed the subject and kept talking with the $10 bill in his hand---then quickly wished us well, said he had another table and walked away and never came back. Probably banking that we were tourist (he asked where we were from) and would'n't make a big fuss over it. Chalked it up to experience and left never to return. (And we are going back to NYC next month).

• Finnish first
New York City, New York
“Below average”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Outdated and broken decor. Manager makes waiters pay for mistaken orders and brings them to tears. Food is average...only saving grace is the nice friendly staff

Sleaford, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Made the mistake of going here for early evening meal after a wonderful day walking miles around the city. The waiter did not bring the correct drinks to start with, then part of my meal didn't turn up. Rather than try and get more service we ate what we had, which was adequate but not what I wanted from a New York deli. When we received the bill, I paid what I thought was the right amount plus tip, only to be lectured in front of the whole restaurant that I hadn't given enough gratuity! As I pointed out, the tip was for good service, which we did not receive and then we walked out. Would not recommend this place to anyone, especially as there is a fantastic deli directly across the street, which we found later in the week.

Harwich, Massachusetts
“Sorry, but cannot recommend Benash”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stopped on a Sunday afternoon for a snack as we had been walking all day. It looked inviting so we walked in. Service was slow and indifferent. We watched two parties get up and leave as they were ignored. We ordered soup that was fair, nothing great and did not live up to its price point.

Given the lack of service, mediocre food and relative high prices there are many better places to chose.

Brooklyn, New York
“Racist employees”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I met my significant other at the Benash Delicatessan for lunch (he's black and I'm white, we're both in our 40s and professionals). I arrived first, was greeted warmly, and was seated toward the back of the restaurant. I let them know there would be another person, and he would be joining me shortly. When my b/f arrived, he told the hostess he was meeting someone and she's already there, then he walked past her. She called for someone who stepped in his path and asked if he could help him. My b/f again told him he's meeting me there, and pointed to me (he could see me at that point). The employee still blocked his path and refused to let him through. My b/f had to push his way past this waiter simply to be able to reach me enough to speak with me. We of course left after the way he had been treated. It absolutely amazes me that this garbage still occurs in this day and age, and especially in NYC! These people need to drag their Neanderthal behinds into the 21st century and realize people are people. It doesn't matter where your family originated, what color your skin is, what you do for a living, etc. The ONLY thing that should matter is how you treat other people....PERIOD. Based on how those employees treat people, they're pathetic, closed minded, backwater, trash.

Visited October 2013