“Lunch at Benash”

Ranked #9,398 of 13,763 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Benash Delicatessen has been an NYC favorite for more than 15 years. Stop by for a drink or one of our famous corned beef sandwiches.
Connecticut
“Lunch at Benash”
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I agree with some of the others. The worst place I have eaten in New York and I have been here often. Like someone said the location is nice, but that is about it. It does smell delicious when walking down the street, but after eating there it may be another little shop located farther down. The waitress was probably the best thing about the whole lunch. I believe she knows the food is not very good. She actually told us her sister had one of the items we ordered and that she did not like that either. The drink that I ordered was so bad that I could not finish. The soup was very nasty and filled with garlic.

This was just not a good place for lunch and their prices were so high it was sick. We should of just had the drink and left. Lunch cost me almost $80 with a tip. We had dinner, dessert and drinks in Little Italy that evening for $108 tip included.

This place should close down, but as one review said nobody knows how bad it is until they get in there and eat.

• Finnish first
torrente13
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Avoid like the plague, terrible food, worst "service" ever.”
Reviewed January 17, 2008

Avoid like the plague, terrible food, worst service ever.

I've been to New York City many times and never, ever had such a terrible experience as this one.
The food was so bad I left it almost completely. But the worst thing was the waitress throwing a fit for a 20% tip when I already gave her the 18% even though she did not deserve it because she was extremely rude the whole time and the "food" couldn't be worst. No wonder the place was half empty. Avoid like the plague.

1 Thank torrente13
Hereford UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant Restaurant”
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Good service, friendly and attentive staff. very good food, huge portions. the price is very reasonable. do not understand the bad reviews, ate here every morning for breakfast. will do again when we return.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“agree with reviewers”
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Like others have said, we were so hungry and tired after a heavy day of sightseeing that we wandered into the seemingly congenial atmosphere of the BenAsh. Its location is brilliant - that's why it keeps going I suspect, we mostly tried to eat at recommended restaurants, but on this occasion took a chance.
My meal was OK, but had clearly been microwaved, as the bread was hard as nails. The total bill was the second most expensive bill we had in 7 days of eating in Manhattan!! There seemed to be quite an argument going on among the waiters when we were there, which didn't exactly add to our experience.
Avoid this place if you can...

2 Thank nogginthenog
Shawnee, Oklahoma
“I Cannot Say Enough BAD Things About This Rip Off Deli - AVOID!”
Reviewed November 7, 2007

The BenAsh Delicatessen is the absolute worst dining experience that I have ever encountered! This place is the classic definition of a "tourist trap" and it unfortunately ensnares enough unsuspecting tourists to remain in business. If I can save but one person from being ripped off by this "deli" then I feel that my mission will be accomplished.

First, let me say that this so-called delicatessen's prices are the worst I have ever seen in Manhattan! Prices are outrageous - even by NYC standards! As others have mentioned there is supposedly a $13.00 per person minimum and a $3.00 sharing fee, which is denoted in tiny mice type in the back of the menu. No worries about meeting the $13.00 minimum as there are few, if any, items under $13.00 on the menu! My girlfriend and I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and try this place as we were uber-hungry - even after we saw the minimum and "sharing" charge.

To add insult to injury, the waitstaff is among the poorest I have ever encountered. The barely English speaking young woman who took our order hovered over us no sooner than she gave us the menus. The menu is huge and took time to digest but she just kept standing near our table and asking us if we were ready to order. It was very annoying to say the least. My girlfriend ordered some soup (it was never brought to us - thankfully they didn't try to charge us for this) and a Caesar Salad. I ordered their Ben Ash Cobb Sandwich. Both of these items were in excess of $24.00 each! To be fair the salad was pretty good and the sandwich was incredibly huge and pretty tasty. Once the food was delivered our waitress disappeared (naturally) and never even came back to check on us. Of course there are no free refills here and you would think that they would be johnny on the spot to try and sucker you into buying more drinks but myself and my girlfriend never were offered a refill - even as we looked anxiously around the room for our waitress. It was ridiculous!

When our final bill arrived ($64.00 for a deli lunch!) our waitress miraculously reappeared to hover over us - anxiously awaiting the credit card receipt! It was the most annoying experience I have ever had. Of course, there was a notice on the bottom of the receipt saying that expected gratuity was 18-20% - puhlease! This place should be ashamed of itself. I left a very meager tip. Thankfully, unlike other reviewers and their horror stories, the waitress didn't mention that I didn't leave the required 20%. She did however scowl at us in disdain.

I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. The service is horrible, the prices outrageous. The only consolation was the laughter that we had over this ridiculous restaurant. We also avoided those pesky $3.00 sharing fees somehow. Between the two of us we must have had at least $24.00 in sharing fees as we both tried each others' dinners. What a scam! I see others recommending the Carnegie Deli over this but in my opinion it is just as bad. They, too have a sharing charge and their customer service is bad to non existent.

BenAsh should be ashamed of itself. Some kind of regulator should look into this business and its ethics - this is the absolute worst experience I have ever had. Never again!

3 Thank Travelogue74