“Good food and friendly service”
Review of Le Marais

Le Marais
Ranked #1,832 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed October 24, 2012

First time visit to this restaurant was for lunch in a party of six. We had reservations but since people were arriving from all over Manhattan and traffic was basically at a standstill, some in our party were delayed. Nonetheless no one was impatient or upset that we were waiting for everyone to arrive before ordering. When we did order, the food arrived in a timely manner and everyone enjoyed what they had whether it was fish, steak or chicken. All items were prepared perfectly and served attractively and the service was friendly and efficient.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Last year, we had such an enjoyable meal at Le Marais that we decided to return for a second round.

We arrived at 8pm without a reservation and were faced with a sea of people. I immediately regretted not having made a reservation and was told to return at 9:30. When we returned we were told to wait at the bar until a table opened up. We were seated around 10pm.

We started with a charcuterie sampling platter, which consisted of duck pate, kernatzel, salami, beef jerky and something else that started with an 'R' that I can't recall. Everything on the plate was delicious, but especially the kernatzel and salami. It was served with two small crostinis. We also ordered a bottle of the house red wine, which was a very dry bordeaux and was quite nice too.

For the main courses, my husband stuck with his choice from last year, which was the lamb and spettzle served with roasted root vegetables, while I opted for one of the day's specials, which was chilli crusted duck breast served with coconut risotto, frizzled leaks and a horseradish sauce. Adam was disappointed in his meal because (he's picky and) it was presented quite different than last year and because the sides served with the lamb were different and not quite as presented on the menu. Still, he thought the meat was really excellent.

My meal was outstanding. The duck breast was moist and well flavoured, while the coconut risotto was rich, slightly sweet and smooth. The frizzled leeks were out of this world. I couldn't get enough of them! Yum!

Now the bad news - the service. I have to believe that the level of service we received tonight was a reflection of the overwhelming number of people dining at the same time, rather than a typical occurence. I can't imagine the restaurant staying in business if this is how they usually treat people. The table to our left got up and walked out of the restaurant before getting their meals because they were so upset about the length of time it was taking to get their food, while one of the men at the table to our left angrily exclaimed "EXCUSE ME! Could I PLEASE get the bill already, I've asked three times now!". As for us, we waited about 15 minutes to get menus and another 25 minutes before we got our drinks and appetizers. It was impossible to get any staff member's attention and everything just took so long to get. The staff were inattentive and overwhelmed. Pity.

I'm going to break the rating for this restaurant into two categories:
Food: A

Service: C

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The place is convenient if you are going to the theater, prices are okay, food is good, it gets kind a busy and then the service slows down, Staff was friendly

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Great steaks, huge size...
The steak for two is basically half a cow........ :-)
The beef jerckey is good but is expensive.
The fondue was also great. If you are looking for a good steak in NY, this is the place.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

From a waiter who is incapable of understanding the dishes names from the French menu and brings you something that you did not order while sulking terribly, to the same waiter telling us that though HE MADE the mistake he could not change the cost of the food we ordered (even if his mistake was going to cost us money).

The food is just so-so.

I am French and having a restaurant claiming to serve French food while delivering under-par food with a terrible service makes me hurt!

Note to management: get happier waiters, teach them how to understand your own dishes and hire a new cook.