“Nice Restaurant”
Review of Orso

Orso
Reserve with OpenTable
Orso is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #442 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had theatre tickets last month and at the recommendation of a gentleman we met on a flight to Newark, we decided to try Orso in NYC. This was a great find as far as my husband and I are concerned. The restaurant is not very large but bright and clean. The service was excellent and they had a nice selection of foods for dinner. I enjoyed a pasta dish and my husband had their pizza. They also put a basket of bread on the table with a bean puree which was so delicious! I heard that celebrities frequent this restaurant before shows and we were lucky enough to see Katie Holmes come in for dinner by herself (and she's lovely!). Prices were typical NYC prices but no complaints here. We look forward to going back again and this restaurant will be a permanent fixture on our list of where to eat in NYC.

There are newer reviews for Orso

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Often when in New York we like to go to Joe Allen's on West 46th after a Broadway show. This time we tried Orso which is next door and I understand owned by the same people.

It was a really wet night out when we arrived and the place was full of buzz. We were quickly seated and handed menus. I suspect that the menu will change frequently - they have an online version which will give you an idea of the fare.

We thought the prices were reasonable and can thoroughly recommend the house white which we enjoyed during our leisurely meal. There was no pressure to vacate the table although that may well not be the case when the place is jumping.

The night we were in Lou Reed stopped right beside our table to speak with the maitre'd. He was with his wife Laurie Anderson. Ooh, star spotting and a good meal thrown in!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Have been here several times and never disappointed The food was great and so was the service. In cold weather try and make sure your table is not near the front door as a cold wind blows in every time the door opens.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The food at Orso is usually very good. I have been coming to the restaurant for around 3 or 4 years and always enjoyed the food. Service usually very good. Went there tonight and the food was as good as ever but, in the half empty restaurant, they suddnenly thrust a bill upon us that we hadn't asked for from a miserable looking female maiter d. When questione dshe claimed that there was an agreement re a 2 hour window, which my friend that booke dthe restauarant said there never was. The 3 of us had spent $325 so felt we deserved better. She said she would go check their records and never came back. We ordered another round of after dinner drinksand asked for the bill. Despite the poor attitude I left an 18% tip. I mentioned that we felt we were owed an apology and were disappointed that the maitre d grump never came back. ( no other people came in to the restaurant in the half hour that transpired.) The waitres said that the 2 hour window was "policy" and that it wasnt't the grumpy lady's fault. She said we could speak to the manager and this guy came over claiming that the 2 hour window had been explained to my friend upon booking, which was a lie, and that the restaurant had been full - a lie we all knew! When told that he was lying and an idiot he attempted to kick us out. At this point I cancelled the tip and vowed never to go back there. I never will, despite the good food. There are lots of other restaurants that serve good food and provide good service to boot. I'll also stop going to their branch in London, where I'm based! Too up themselves by far!

1  Thank johnsaps
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have been going to Orso for years and we love it! Great to "bump into the stars" but the reason we keep coming back is the FOOD!!! We've never had a bad meal there! Never rushed but if we need to get to the theater on-time they keep us on schedule. We just spent 2 weeks in Rome, Florence and the wine country of Tuscany; we now have a greater appreciation for Orso, their staff and chef. They're doing it right! Some of my favorites: Beef Carpaccio w/ sea urchin, arugula, lemon and mustard. The pizzas are fabulous! Linguini w/ jumbo lump crab and lobster is so good that I will often get a 2nd order! For Entrees I love the free range chicken w/ brussels sprouts, the Roasted Wild Striped Bass (Yum) and the Roasted Double Cut Pork Chop w/ sauteed spinach! Don't miss the mashed potatoes too!

I like returning to a restaurant where I know the staff. From the front of the house to the kitchen I'm very impressed. The relaxed service of allowing me to pour my own wine and dine at my own pace is exactly how it is done in Italy so what's not to love? I highly recommend a visit to Orso over and over again.