“Classic French food and good enough”
Review of Le Rivage

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hell's Kitchen
Cross street: Between 8th and 9th Avenues
Transit: C & E trains to 50th Street; N, R & W trains to 49th Street; 1 train to 50th Street; and all trains to Times Square/42nd Street.
Description: Le Rivage offers you a cozy, romantic French country atmosphere where traditional French cuisine is expertly prepared for your pleasure. Fresh flowers embellish each table. Prices are delightfully affordable with incredibly rewarding selections; a true bargain in the heart of the theatre district.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Finding a reasonable French restaurant in Manhattan is hard. Le Rivage fills the bill.

They serve the classics that are hard to find in even France today. They have a great three course pre theater price fixe for $43 from 4- 7 with lots of choices. In fact that is all they offer at that time.

The  facility is warm and welcoming with good service and tablecloths. The food is good enough and my wife loved it.

A hint,  reservations are a must at that time but if they cannot take you at a table. There is a nice bar and the will serve the price fixe there too.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (806)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We are celebrating my wife’s birthday at a fantastic French restaurant. The place is rather small but, has a great atmosphere. There is a small bar there. I had a gin and tonic while my wife had a rose de Provence. For an appetizer, we both had the escargot, which was unbelievable. Main course, Bouef Bourguignon and Coq sucks Vin. They were delicious. For dessert, I had the chocolate mousse and my wife had the bread pudding. Again, they were both rich and delicious. It is a place we will visit again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Location is in restaurant row in New York 46th st between 8th & 9th Avenues so should be good and was but not quite perfect.
Since when was bread and butter pudding French?
But to be fair every thing was pretty good and I think the first restaurant we’ve been in this US trip without TVs on every wall.

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

Pre-theatre meal with my daughter. We had seafood bisque, escargot, filet mignon and cordon bleu. Escargot was good. Filet was ordered medium rare, but came out gray and dry on the edges (the rest was perfect). Swapped fries for mashed potatoes and received only 10 fries. Desserts (ice cream and creme brulee) were just ok, flavor-wise. Very crowded as usual, with tight spaces between tables (very hard for someone against the wall to get up and out without moving tables apart), and no ability to have a private conversation. May be classic NYC or Paris, but not ideal. Servers were good, water was replenished regularly, and got out on time for our show. Overall just ok. Too many restaurants in Manhattan to suffer mediocre experiences, so will probably not return.

Reviewed September 4, 2019

Dined Sept.3. Loved it. Had an Open Table Reservation & a $20 voucher from them. Have eaten there before, but was more impressed this time. I had soft shell crab special...DELICIOUS. My husband had pate app & chicken cordon Blue...Great, he said. There is a $43 prix fixe dinner, which we loved every bit. Service was great. My only problem would be if you don't want the prix fixe dinner, It looks like you can't do ala carte before theatre time. It just happened to work out well for us. I might not want it all the time. You'd have to ask or maybe manager can respond here. My complaint was that they charged for coffee. That seems pretty cheesy for a nice place serving a pre fixe dinner. You'd think they'd include a cup of coffee with dessert.