“Great food, odd service”
Review of Ollie's Midtown - CLOSED

Ollie's Midtown
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed January 18, 2013

So first, I love the food at Ollie's. Spicy Sichuan dishes including chicken with chili peppers and several shrimp dishes (which are called prawn on the menu). Excellent entree soups including handmade, homemade wonton soup, noodle soups (the "everything noodle soup" is especially good), and several dumplings. Even the standard Manhattan Chinese restaurant dishes ("American Chinese") like beef with broccoli are taken up a notch here. And by Manhattan standards, the prices are a bargain.

The only drawback is the service. The wait staff yell at each other, get orders wrong, and I've even had a waitress argue with me when she brought the wrong order. I get the sense that not many people who work here really know or care about American culture in terms of how to treat a customer. Don't get me wrong, the service is usually fine--friendly and efficient. But many times it is poor and occasionally it's downright bad.

My guess is that the food is authentic, because the restaurant is frequently full of Chinese.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The food and service are really good here. I go often for lunch and I have never been disappointed! If you are looking for a place with good vibes, drinks, food and a relaxed atmosphere; then this is the place for you.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Being in NYC for Christmas I was pretty content with the fact that we'd be eating Chinese for dinner. I am I was envisioning an empty restaurant with fluorescent lighting and linoleum floors. Boy was I surprised when we walked into Ollie. The place was jam packed and huge. It looked like it should be an Italian restaurant actually so the decor was heavy and homey. We had steamed porker dumplings, and garlic chicken, spinach with mushrooms, and shrimp fried rice. All was excellent. Hot, fresh and well seasoned. The garlic chicken was the perfect spiciness.

I'd recommend this place to anyone!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stumble across this restaurant while heading towards hell's kitchen. Came here for dinner during my stay in midtown. Food is authentic, restaurant is nicely decorated like an old Italian restaurant, so it doesn't really fit well with Chinese food. Service was great, price is reasonable in Midtown. Will definitely come back the next time I visit.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

A friend and I dined at Ollie's before watching a show. We were both craving for Filipino food and, I guess, Chinese food was closest to our cuisine! We passed by Ollie's on the way to the theater from our hotel so we decided to eat there. The place wasn't so crowded then as it was still early and we were given a good table. We immediately ordered tofu, lemon chicken and fried rice which were served after 10-15 minutes. The food was delicious and served hot. The portions were generous so we got so full that we were able to finish only half of our order. By the time we finished, the restaurant was already full and noisy!

1  Thank Starbrax