“Great Theater District Choise”

LA Rivista Palatine Restaurant
Ranked #3,801 of 14,199 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: between eight and nith ave.
Transit: ace to port authority
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Why had I not stopped here before I have asked myself since my first visit last night. I have passed it many times en route to any number of other choices in the neighborhood.
As soon as we sat down were were offered a chunk of very good Parmesan cheese with a dollop of thick and high quality balsamic vinegar. I chose the price fixed menu and ordered the veal pate as an appetizer, followed by veal medallions with mushrooms. Both were superb. I ended with a poached pear. The meal was fantastic and well priced at $28.50. We stayed to listen to the piano. The atmosphere is welcoming, conducive to conversation and bright with a view of 46th St - "Restaurant Row." It is in the heart of the theater district and is a great choice pre or post curtain. The service was impeccable - attentive and charming. This is a place that does a a healthy tourist business but also it also has a large contingent of loyal patrons. I look forward to returning as soon as possible.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I friend and I were in town to do the New York Marathon and were looking for a place near our hotel for dinner upon our arrival in town. We walked in off the street without a reservation. As it was only 5:30PM we had no trouble getting a table. The service was excellent, and constant throughout the evening -- water glasses filled regularly etc. We enjoyed the decor and the ambiance. We were seated near the piano, but we were too early for the piano player. I found the tables nicely spaced and it was easy to converse without shouting. We both ordered off the Prix Fixe menu at $28 (may have been $28.95). The bread was good, and served along with cheese cut from a large wheel table-side and some balsamic vinegar. We both started with the caprese salad, which was decent but the tomatoes were not very ripe.
I paid $4 more for the beef tenderloin with mushrooms. It was generally tasty, but too salty, and I wish it had been accompanied by some vegetables. My dining partner enjoyed her salmon. For dessert I had the fresh berries, which were good. Overall we enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

There was a piano....and a very old man wanna by player..with his old-about 90 years old- company singing....1940-60's hits!!!
The food OK but very pricey and the service was terrible. One of the waiters was ready to sleep...and the main waiter put the gratuity of 20% by himself at the bill.When asked the manager why such a high tip he told us "you put that"...At the end the manager told us that it was not permitted the waiter to put the tip on the bill ..."but you know... when tourists...we put the tip...."
So that ...not go there where no respect of tourist....but welcomed a self defined tip of 20%....

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Going to a play we decided to try out this restaurant. We both had soup which was salty but tasty. My wife had the pork chop which she liked. I had the swordfish which was dry. The menu had no surprises for a typical Italian. I will not go back. Plenty of others that are better.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We were told to try this restaurant out by a friend that has gone to this restaurant for years. He said you will love it. We like Italian restaurants and I would have to say that this place would be one of our most memorable restaurants to have been at. The host was absolutely magnificent and most gracious. Kept coming back to our table to make sure everything was just right with our meal. We started off with a few different appetizers that were brought to our table and had an Italian bottle of wine that the owner recommended to us, base on our telling him what we usually like that was american wine. The wine was he picked was great. They also had Romano cheese brought to the table and we would dip it in balsamic vinegar on a small plate....mmmmmm, I could not stop eating the cheese with the wine, OMG. Then the Lasagna we had was absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that enjoys Italian food or even just a nice romantic night out. They treat you like royalty here.