“A Terrible Eating Experience”

La Rivista Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Rivista Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,581 of 14,810 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: between eight and nith ave.
Transit: ace to port authority
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My friend and I decided to try this restaurant on Restaurant Row in NYC prior to our theater matinee last week. What a mistake! The service wasn't just poor - it was non-existent! We never saw our waiter until the end of the meal when he presented us with our bill!! A busboy finally gave us a menu after letting us sit there for half an hour. He also took our order and brought us our food - finally - after we waited an hour! The soup was way too salty. The rest of the meal was fair, but not great. The place was extremely noisy. They were obviously very understaffed and unprepared for the crowd they got. Never again!!

2  Thank Barbara K

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I went here for a birthday dinner with a dear friend. It seemed like the perfect place to have a long, quiet dinner.

When we arrived, it seems like the maitre d' took an immediate dislike for us. We felt it from the beginning. We were asked if we wanted a drink and I said we'd like to see a wine list. He finally brought us a wine list after our entrees arrived and then seemed shocked when I said, "Not now."

The food was good but the way we were treated from the beginning left a bad taste in my mouth.

There was a piano player. It was too loud. And he seemed to think I should tip him as we left.

As I looked around at the other diners, they appeared to be treated ok. They got a wine list when they were seated and their wine came before or at least with their food.

I won't be going here again and can't recommend it.

3  Thank NYMartNY
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Had a great dinner at this place. Nice ambiance and food was delicious and service was perfect. I will definitely be back again.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We'll probably try here again and order something different. The service was very good and the food was too. Restaurant Row is definitely convenient to the theaters so that's the draw. Some of the restaurants are a bit better - but most offer a quick meal.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've eaten numerous times here and never been disappointed. The venue is lovely, the service from coat-check to bus-boy professional and knowledgeable, and the food always beautifully prepared, plated, and served. For meatballs-and-spagehtti go elsewhere but if you're looking for fine veal, seafood, Tuscan beef, etc. this is by far the best place on 'Restaurant Row' in the Theatre District. After 8:00 P.M. there's usually a pianist/vocalist so you may want a table away from the piano for conversation. There's little if any bar scene so no need to put up with those who've had one-too-many.