“Good food, appalling service”

La Rivista Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Rivista Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,581 of 14,810 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: between eight and nith ave.
Transit: ace to port authority
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I went here for a birthday dinner with a dear friend. It seemed like the perfect place to have a long, quiet dinner.

When we arrived, it seems like the maitre d' took an immediate dislike for us. We felt it from the beginning. We were asked if we wanted a drink and I said we'd like to see a wine list. He finally brought us a wine list after our entrees arrived and then seemed shocked when I said, "Not now."

The food was good but the way we were treated from the beginning left a bad taste in my mouth.

There was a piano player. It was too loud. And he seemed to think I should tip him as we left.

As I looked around at the other diners, they appeared to be treated ok. They got a wine list when they were seated and their wine came before or at least with their food.

I won't be going here again and can't recommend it.

3  Thank NYMartNY

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Had a great dinner at this place. Nice ambiance and food was delicious and service was perfect. I will definitely be back again.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We'll probably try here again and order something different. The service was very good and the food was too. Restaurant Row is definitely convenient to the theaters so that's the draw. Some of the restaurants are a bit better - but most offer a quick meal.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've eaten numerous times here and never been disappointed. The venue is lovely, the service from coat-check to bus-boy professional and knowledgeable, and the food always beautifully prepared, plated, and served. For meatballs-and-spagehtti go elsewhere but if you're looking for fine veal, seafood, Tuscan beef, etc. this is by far the best place on 'Restaurant Row' in the Theatre District. After 8:00 P.M. there's usually a pianist/vocalist so you may want a table away from the piano for conversation. There's little if any bar scene so no need to put up with those who've had one-too-many.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were walking by on our way to another restaurant, stopped to casually look into La Rivista, and were warmly asked to "join us" by the maitre d. We impulsively accepted, and very glad we did. The restaurant is carpeted, rare in NYC, the tables are well-spaced, so I could hear myself think. The staff were exceptionally warm and attentive, without being intrusive. The seafood salad appetizer was big enough to be an entree and could easily be split for two. Our only comment was that the seafood salad could have used more shrimp, scallops, etc. and less octopus - lots of octopus. The salmon entree is quite good. Two comments on the lasagna bolognese entree. The lasagna itself is excellent, especially what tasted like very fresh pasta. The bolognese sauce on top was very rich and more creamy than our taste. The piano player was a very pleasant surprise, singing Broadway tunes and many others. Only one comment, though. Instead of background music, the piano player gives a performance, sometimes so loudly that it can be difficult to talk during the performance. We will definitely return, however, and now will know exactly what to expect.