“Lively and fun”

Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We went here as a treat to see the singing waiting staff and were thoroughly entertained. The service was good, singing was great and we enjoyed the food too! You could not book a table but the queue was not too bad and once seated the food arrived quickly. A great, lively, must-visit restaurant, especially if you are catching a show as it is right in the middle of theatre-land

There are newer reviews for Ellen's Stardust Diner

Reviewed September 13, 2013

If you go to Ellen's make sure you understand what "it" is about. You can't book, but if you have to queue it goes quickly. We had children age 13,10&5 and they had such fun! Your waiter and waitresses sing throughout the night and have fantastic voices! We've never experienced anything like it and it's in a great location - would recommend walking to TimesSquare afterwards to see it at night. The food is average, my kids had pasta & burger, whilst I had a salad which I have to say I enjoyed! But the food isn't great, you are paying for the 'experience!' It's not cheap, it's average & would suggest sharing if you have young children. This is a diner - not a fancy restaurant. The staff were friendly and service was good! Yes, aimed at tourists but I know many who have been & enjoyed it. Read the reviews & only you will know whether this will suit your family

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We first came to Ellen's 15 years ago, on our first NYC trip, and thought it was great fun, and have re-visited on several trips since. We have always had fond memories of this place as a family.
Last week, however, we returned to find that the food, which was usually ok, had gone horribly downhill. The food is not that cheap for a diner, but it was barely edible. Our meals arrived lukewarm rather than hot, and were really not good at all. Of course, I could have sent them back, but once you get a sense of the low standards of the kitchen, what was the point? We'd get more of the same. Obviously, the singing is entertaining, but what's the point of a diner if the food is inedible? I really regretted wasting my money there, and will not be returning.
Our waitress was surly and rude, her one redeeming feature was having a great voice, but we were also there to eat! When she first came to our table, she asked how we were, and to my "great, thanks, how are you?", she replied "Bored!". That set the tone for the night.
Really regret going back last week, feel quite ripped off and angry about the experience. If you are looking for edible food, avoid at all costs!

1  Thank SHNYC
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Loved the singing, what a fantastic and unique experience! The food was also very good too! It's a bit tacky but just embrace it and you will have loads of fun! Enjoy!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was one of the highlights of our tour to NYC.

The tour guide recommended it to my 12 year old daughter and myself because she is a fan of Broadway and plays.

The place is cozy but has two floors so it fits quite a few people. We were fortunate to go around 5:00 and had no wait time at all. We had our tour guide call ahead so we could gauge the time. No problem.

The entertainment is pure fun. The staff take turns singing tunes from the 50s up to today. They stood up on the seat behind where my daughter was sitting. They sang to patrons and were really entertaining. Seriously the most simple fun I had there.

The food was pretty good but definitely not cheap. It is NYC after all but you are paying for the entertainment. Dinner for my daughter and I was $50 with tip. She had sliders and I had a Philly steak sandwich. Both came with waffle fries. We also had a yummy dessert which was fantabulous!

If you had to splurge anywhere this would be the place. The entertainment value alone is worth the extra money. We both loved it!