“Big hit for vodka lovers”
Review of Russian Samovar

Russian Samovar
Reserve with OpenTable
Russian Samovar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,797 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadwy & 8th
Transit: 50 St (A, C, E) 50 St (1, 2) 7 Av (B, D, E)
Description: Russian Samovar, a landmark restaurant in New York City with rich history, started operations in 1986, and later partnered with Mikhail Baryshnikov and Nobel Prize winning poet Joseph Brodski. We are proud to have won numerous Best of New York awards for our food and flavored vodkas. We support the art community by hosting poetry readings, art shows, and now theater productions. The space has a unique layout with private event space upstairs, which consists of a lounge area and bar, and a private dining room with a balcony. Downstairs is an open dining area and bar with an atmosphere celebrating our Russian heritage. The white piano centerpiece donated by Mr. Baryshnikov ties together our bar with our dining room, and is one of our sources of nightly live music - everything from classic piano scores to Russian / gyspy music on a weekends, as well as jazz on Sundays.
Reviewed September 28, 2013

If you want to get away from the lights of Times Square, head a few blocks west to this Russian bar where you will find more locals than Russians taking vodka in a unique way. Apples, pears and other fruits soaked in vodka served with literally any combination of vodka drink you want.

The owner makes the varieties him/herself - just ask what you want!

8  Thank B 'n' G

Reviewed September 26, 2013

My family, a party of 6, visited the Russian Samovar for the second time on the night of September 21, and what a memorable night it was! There was live music, two singers and a violinist. They sang russian songs as well as popular american, brazilian, and italian ones. They also take requests which is nice. Let me start by saying that the PINEAPPLE vodka is absolutely delicious, it's just the right amount of sweet, my family loved it (a tough crowd to please). The food was scrumptious! Beautifully served, and tasted amazing. We had the duck, the lamb, fish, and the beef, so it's safe to say that almost everything on the menu is worth trying for how yummy it was. The service at the Russian Samovar was impeccable, lovely people serving there, it was a true pleasure to be served by them, especially our waiter Luna. The place was packed on a Saturday night, so reservations are recommended. It was truly an enjoyable experience, you cannot go wrong by visiting this place. Aleksandr had to be right when he took Carrie here!!! We are all yearning to return again soon.

9  Thank miparadiso
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My family comes from Russia two generations back so I was curious to see if this was tourist Russian food or Russian Russian food - it's either Russian Russian food or the chef learned to cook with my grandmother.

Unable to choose among the appetizers, we decided to have a a meal of appetizers. Round one was the foie Gras (not really anything I'd associate with Russian food, but we're from California and we can't get it in restaurants any more) and the Pan Fried Potatoes with Wild Mushrooms. Round two was potato vareniki (pirogies), meat blinchika (crepes), and potato pancakes with home made sour cream (which I put on everything).

Russian cooks elevate the potato to the sublime and in the potato toika - the Pan Fried Potatoes were the winner, but only by a hair because they were all excellent. Did I mention there were only two of us eating these 5 appetizers? Oh and the bread is like nothing we get in California. Sour dough can only take you so far.

Skipping any entre we shared 3 desserts: apple strudel, medovik (honey cake) and the inaptly named chocolate rum balls. The rum balls were basically a pretty large log of rich cocolate rum truffle covered with chocolate ganache, drizzled with some icing and topped with sprinkles. as a small candy it would have been rich - as a big log i cried uncle. My husband at the whole thing.

the apple strudel, I'm sorry to say, did not hold a candle to my grandmother's but it was quite good anyway. But the Medovik was devine - managing to be perfectly light and sweet at the same time.

The experience came from the piano player and the other diners, who sang along, made requests bopped their heads and clapped to the music, enough to be infectious but not enough to overpower the excellent singing and piano playing. It made the whole evening so much fun.

Whether you're re-visiting your youth or trying a new type of food - the Russian Samovar got both me and my husband trying to rearrange the rest of our week's plans so we can go back.

10  Thank ExNYCabbie
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just go there and feel like at home. Thank you, Mr. Baryshnikov, for such a wonderful place. Very good authentic Russian cuisine and ambiance. Tea like in the train, pelmeny, like at mother's home and people like in Old Russia.

10  Thank Euphoria_djinn
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went to the Russian Samovar on a Saturday evening prior to our broad way show. The restaurant is small and quaint (my daughter loved the décor). The servers were attentive and friendly. We ordered two appetizers dolma and the pelemeni. We did not like the dolma only because we did not like the grape leaves but, the meat inside was very good. The pelemeni on the other hand was terrific. My husband ordered the braised short ribs which he said were ok maybe cooked too much. I ordered the chicken kiev and my daughter ordered the duck both of these meals I would highly recommend.

6  Thank kimsX7442XV