“Overpriced Run of the Mill Japanese Restaurant”
Review of Kuruma Zushi

Kuruma Zushi
Ranked #3,923 of 14,592 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were four for dinner last night, three of us took the $90 prix fixe and one of us the $140 prix fixe, honestly I thought it was over priced garbage, run of the mill, something you would expect to pay $40 a head for maybe in other reasonably good places, $660 was our total bill with a bottle of Sake and 3 beers.
Garbage Garbage Garbage, don't waste your money or your time and what ever pictures are posted on their website is also a lie.
Bad service too, they wanted to throw us out by 10 pm!!!!!

A total bad experience.

1  Thank Philip S

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Ok, look, this place is amazing. Period. It is also very expensive. Period. The guy is very friendly, serving very special food. If you are really into sashimi and sushi and money is no object, you will have a wonderful meal.

1  Thank GeorgeK832655
Reviewed May 4, 2012

From the moment you approach it, this restaurant exudes an air of exclusivity. The name is discretely displayed, and the only way to reach it is through a dedicated elevator that goes only to the restaurant, located on the second floor. I wanted to have good sushi on my last evening in NYC and didn’t want to go too far from our hotel. I checked the internet and asked for recommendations from a Japanese acquaintance living in NY. She mentioned 4-5 restaurants. I decided on Kuruma Zushi based on several reviews, and in particular, a NYT review that touted it as “one of New York’s most venerable sushi bars". They claimed the fish was one of the freshest and noted they even served fresh wasabi. Other reviews noted the quality of the service, the friendliness of the proprietor. All agreed prices were exorbitant but for good sushi, I am willing to indulge.

We were surprised, given the reviews, that there was only one other patron in the restaurant when we arrived, a Japanese businessman on expense account. In fact, we were there until 10pm and nobody else arrived. We had read that it could be quite pricey if we allowed the chef to serve what he wanted, so I requested a menu. It was not forthcoming. I requested again, which is when the chef said we should allow him to order for us. Feeling a bit embarrassed, we partially agreed as the fish wasn’t displayed on the counter but rather, was kept in closed aluminum boxes. However, we did order most of it ourselves. We requested a menu for drinks, also not forthcoming. But we insisted and finally got it. The fish was fresh, and very plainly served, definitely “no frills” as some reviews noted. The servings were smaller than usual. No fresh wasabi was served. Having nothing to do, the three waiters and the cashier just stood around us and stared as we ate. Not comfortable. And even though they had nothing to do, the waiters did not even notice we had finished our drinks midway through the meal. We requested the bill even though still hungry because of the discomfort of the situation. It cost $150 per person. Strangely, they did not want to part with the original receipt? I had to request a xerox copy! Definitely a 5-star price for a 2-star experience.

1  Thank Sequoia16
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Love love love.

Sushi and I go way back, and I'm pretty picky if I'm paying 15USD for a single piece of Toro. But I'd do it again, and I would not think twice.

They offer a decent lunch special for 18/20USD, good value and you don't have to agonize over the prices of the a la carte menu. We 2 of the specials, and ordered the Toro when we found we had just enough room in our tummies for desert. Perfect finish to our meal, lunch came to about 40/each after tax and tip.

Tip: you need a reservation most days if you don't want to sit at the sushi bar. The bar is fun though, watching the fish. The owner/chef is the only one who touches the fish, very impressive, but a bit noisy :) You'll see what I mean. Don't bother to ask him what is good, his answer is "Everything." And, he's right.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This hidden gem is a fabulous restaurant, with the freshest sushi I've tried within the states. From sea urchin to sweet shrimp, believe me it's pricey but is the best quality sushi.