“Mixed Feelings”
Review of Tout Va Bien

Tout Va Bien
Reserve with OpenTable
Tout Va Bien is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,142 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: E c train one block away on 50th sreeet.
Transit: E, C train one block away on 50th Street.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We recently had a pre-theater dinner at the restaurant and when we arrived at 5:30PM there were already several tables occupied. Once you enter the restaurant you clearly feel more like you are in France than in New York. The service was good but the food was some what uneven and was just average in my opinion. Some items were not available and we were told that they were changing the menu.

The fix-prix menu is a good bargain, especially for New York City. The house wine by the carafe was cheap at $14 for a ½ liter, but be warned you are likely to be drinking a very inexpensive Chilean red. I’m not sure I’ll be in a rush to return.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

When I think about it, I realize I've probably been going to this restaurant for over 40 years. I started when I was a college student and then brought co-workers when I worked in Manhattan and now I've been bringing relatives. Recently, I've noticed that it does vary a tiny bit from visit to visit but, overall, I still love the place. The pate is the first thing I look for and it never disappoints. I haven't been here for dinner in awhile but I know they never rush you here at lunch. We sat for nearly three hours and no one hovered. Since I've started taking the family's next generation to Tout Va Bien, I hope it's around for the generation after this one. Enjoy.

2  Thank Ashford817
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I was meeting a friend in the City who adores French food, especially bistro food, and she suggested this restaurant. he was correct and their bistro food is classic French ranging from Tripe to Calves' head. She ordered the filet with Foie Gras while I ordered hearts of Palms along with tripe a la Caen. All the food was excellent - the filet was cooked perfectly (medium rare) and the tripe dish was extremely subtle with a delicate touch. Downsides were the fact that the restaurant is quite small and thus cramped. The wait staff speak poor English and service was spotty. This did not detract from the food however. An interesting choice close to the theatres.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had car service and I wanted a bottle of wine to enjoy on the ride home, so I went in search of a liquor store in area. Failing to find one, I stopped in a few bars on the street and each said they do not sell package goods. I entered Tout and was greeted by a friendly hostess, who when I explained my wanting to purchase a bottle of wine, found someone who could help. I was given a nice choice with thoughtful explaination of each, and the bottle was gladly opened, then recorked so we would be able to enjoy in the limo. We enjoyed the bottle and it made the end of the evening very nice on the way home. You might expect price gouging as a possibility, but not here. I was offered a variety of wines at all different prices. I'm just happy to have found a place that greeted me so friendly, only wanting to purchase a bottle of wine and helping me pick a very nice one. We had a fantastic night and the nightcap in the car, was a fitting closing. We will try the food once we feel like French cuisine.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have been going to Tout Va Bien for over 20 years, boy is it easy to see it has changed hands . Gone is the fun exciting atmosphere hustle bustle friendliness . The woman who greeted us was mean. Our waitress was nice though. It was virtually empty for a Saturday night. Would not recommend it now, it's a shame . The old owners have another place called Le Baratin will check it out next time I'm in the city.

1  Thank Luckyboy322