“Really bad service, OK food”

Pergola Des Artistes
Ranked #1,481 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Pergola Des Artistes is a small family-run French restaurant, located in the heart of Times Square and the Theater district. Established in 1963, the decor is still simple and reflects Marie & Jacques' vision of what small French restaurants looked like in their home town of Cominac, in the French Pyrenees. If you're looking for good food at a reasonable price, Pergola des Artistes is for you. If you want haute cuisine, you won't find it here. Many of the recipes were brought over from small villages in France. Today, Christian, Marie and Jacques' son, runs the restaurant. The restaurant has always been a place where tourists, locals and the theater crowd can get a good meal and be out in time for a show.
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have been to this restaurant before and have had a good experience but this time it was very mixed. We waited 10 minutes for a wine list and then another 5 before anyone asked us what we wanted to drink. My husband's entre came on a VERY hot plate but the pork was stone cold so he had to send it back. I ordered the home cured salmon and asked what came with it. When it arrived it was covered with onions to which I am alergic and the waiter had failed to mention they were included, so I sent it back.
This was one of the best things that occurred. A nice waiter said that the smoked salmon was very spicy and gave me a small amount to taste. It was too spicy for me. I ordered mixed vegetables that were OK, all fresh and nicely cooked.
The worst was the service. We never seemed to have one waiter. Noone seemed assigned to serve us. We waited for drinks, waited for our order to be taken, waited for extra butter which never came, waited for someone to ask if we wanted coffee and finally gave up. We had to ask twice for the check. When no one came to take the credit card, my husband just went to the bar to pay for it. Except for the one very nice waiter who tried to help, we might as well have been invisible. On the plus side, the prices are incredible reasonable for NYC. Most entres were between $19 and $25.

People at the next table got efficient service and raved about the food. Not us. We probably won't return.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Eddie also handed us a flyer while waiting at the TKTS line. He was very persuasive so we decided to give it a shot and we weren't disappointed. I ordered Coq Au Wine (chicken cooked in wine), and my husband got a nice baked salmon. (cooked to perfection as they ran out of beef bourguignon) My salad was really good. Husband had a nice onion soup. The appetizer bread was very good too. (very tempting to ask for more) We got 10% off with the flyer that came with complimentary glass of wine for both of us. The waiters can probably be more attentive but the service wasn't bad overall. We'll try other entrees next time we're in New York.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Like some other reviewers, "Eddie" handed us a flyer while waiting in the TKTS line. With the flyer, we received 10% off our meal and a complimentary glass of wine. We had lobster bisque, french onion soup, beef bourguignon and a daily special of pork loin stuffed with pears and cherries. Everything was delicious. I would definitely recommend them and go back next time in NYC.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I first came to this restaurant many years ago, as a child, with my family back in the day when $16 or $17 bought you a dinner which included a glass of wine. My husband and I were in the city for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary. Since we were seeing a show at the theatre next to the restaurant, we decided to dine there as we enjoyed it when we last dined there seven years prior. We were terribly disappointed with the service (as was, it seemed, every table around us). The four waiters didn't seem to have specific tables assigned and it didn't make for very good service. It took a long time for our food to be served (not good at all for a restaurant catering to theatre-goers). We asked for more bread when our soup and salad was served, had to ask again and it was finally brought... without any butter. Asked for a napkin, as mine disappeared, it wasn't brought until we were finished with our meal. No one ever came back after our food was finally served to ensure it was ok. My husband enjoyed the short ribs he ordered however the eggplant Napoleon I was nothing spectacular and not something I'd order again. After we ate, someone did offer us dessert and coffee but we declined. Then we sat... and sat... and sat for quite a long time. Waiters passed by our plateless table numerous times, but no one seemed to notice we were sitting there forever waiting for our check. We finally got up and made our way to the bar at the front where we asked the waiter who was there if we could pay. Literally, if we were less honest people, we could have walked right out the door without paying and without anyone noticing, they were so oblivious. A table next to us was seated for over twenty minutes without anyone coming over to even take their drink order. Another table who was there almost as long as us was only being served their food as we were finishing ours. The waiters were terribly disorganized. There wasn't a busboy, so they were clearing and setting tables as well as serving. It was a terrible disappointment from the previous experiences I've had there over many years. Such a shame.

1  Thank the-way-2-go
Reviewed September 27, 2012

When in the theater district, why go anywhere else? This charming, authentic, family run French oasis has been here for over 50 years. Before you cross 8th Avenue to venture down Restaurant Row, just stop in here. It has the best menu in the price range, the best variety, the best food period! Most prix fixe menus offer a limited variety of options. Not this one. For the price it is the best French restaurant on the West Side in Midtown. I say that for the variety of selections. Restaurant Row is not what it was. They offer a "price fixed" menu with a very limited fare. Not La Pergola. Here you have a wide variety of appetizers, desserts and main courses.
It caters to both a tourist crowd and people like me...regulars for years. Tourists who take advantage of this charming gem will come back whenever they visit NYC. People like me who live here, just come back year after year.
Try it, you'll like it!