“Nice place but the food isn't what I was expecting..”
Review of Thalia

Thalia
Reserve with OpenTable
Thalia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #367 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Greek, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 50th St.
Transit: C, E, 1 (exit on 50th St); N, R (exit on 49th and 7th Ave)
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This a very expensive place for the food they have.

Oysters and sandwiches look good, but the sushi is very bad.
The wait who were serving us looked very bored and was not helpful at all.

Not that bad, but I was expecting much more

There are newer reviews for Thalia

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My family and I were in New York for a working trip but we managed to squeeze in some Broadway shows including the Book of Mormon, which was being staged around the block from Thalia's. For pre-theater dinner, my wife phoned in a reservation a few days before. On the day of the show, we arrived 10 minutes early and we were whisked to the bar where we enjoyed 50% discount on our happy hour drinks. When our table was finally ready, I was handed a bill. I paid for the drinks in cash. And when my change came, I grabbed the receipt and left AT LEAST a 20% tip.

Dinner came. My wife found her crabcake and salmon tartar to be below expectations. My daughter was very happy with her Wagyu beef burger. I was dismayed with both my squid-ink pasta and pork chop. But our server was nice and very attentive. At the end of dinner, I asked for the bill. I paid in cash and we were waiting for our change worth a few dollars along with the receipt.

While waiting for our change and receipt to come, a manager came to our table to ask if we were unhappy with the service. On the contrary, if there was anything going during that dinner, it was the diligent service from our lady server. Then we were strongly advised that if that were the case, we should "at the very least leave a 15% tip to our server as was customarily done in New York if happy with the service." WE WERE JUST PROFILED AS NON-TIPPERS BY THE STAFF, MORE SO BY THE MANAGER HIMSELF.

I am the guest. I am the customer. I am the paying party. It is well within my rights to tell you when I shall give the tip that the server deserves. Not you. And If I say that I will include it in my payment up front, or after, is my prerogative and not yours. And since when did restaurateurs in NYC demand that tips be paid up front?

With both my siblings working for the service industry--my sister, a schooled chef, works for a high-end hotel in Midtown--my family and I are very aware and are very sensitive to the importance and value of tipping especially to the service workers in the food industry.

So how dare you?

2  Thank SirMarmalade
Reviewed October 21, 2013

If you are going to see The Book of Mormon, this is the place to eat. Right around the corner from the theater and what a great find. The food and the staff are top notch. Try the lamb shanks...delicious. Our wait staff couldn't have been more helpful with their suggestions. We will return for their Sunday brunch which has been highly recommended to us by friends.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I stooped on Oct 2013 at around 12 pm or so. We ordered the soup of the day which was roasted veggie soup. My wife liked it. For me, it was just okay. My wife went with the Chicken grilled sandwich and I went with crab sandwich. Both entrees came with herbed fries. I liked the crab sandwich; but the grilled chicken was so-so. This place is definitely $$, pricey. For a soup and 2 entrees, we must have paid about 50 $ including the tip for an afternoon lunch.
The ambiance was good; but it was congested. They have put a lot of tables and tried to seat as much ppl they can. The place was packed

Reviewed October 10, 2013

What a great place to dine! This place is an ideal place to spend a lovely evening with some good food and good atmosphere. Great choice on the menu, especially if you want to try a variety of dishes. Excellent wine list, coupled with very good service and reasonable prices. I will come here again!