Tripadvisor

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: between 5th and 6th Avenues
Transit: Subway 1,2,3,7,A,C,E,N,Q,R,W Stop at 42nd St. Times Square Subway B,D,F,V Stop at 42nd St. & 6th Avenue
Description: Experience the new db bistro moderne! Chef Daniel Boulud's contemporary French bistro has undergone a complete renovation. With the addition of a handsome new cocktail bar, and a newly-crafted menu by Executive Chef Jim Burke in collaboration with Daniel Boulud. db bistro serves updated bistro classics with a modern twist and market-driven French-American cuisine. Located one block East of Times Square, db bistro is the perfect spot for pre- and post-theater dining, a Midtown business lunch or breakfast 'L'Express' of cappuccino and viennoisserie at the bar. A $48 pre-theater prix-fixe dinner menu is available in addition to a full a la care menu. The Lunch Prix Fixe menu will have you back to your desk of off to a matinee quickly and affordably. DB is happy to host large parties and private events from 14-165 guests.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had dinner here based on its proximity to the theater and the fact that it was not the typical Time Square tourist eatery. As out-of-town “country bumpkin” I had second thoughts about my choice of venue when I saw the prices. We were impressed by the service and the attentiveness of the staff. I selected the price fixe risotto with truffle oil appetizer and fillet mignon entree. Oh my, the risotto was heavenly, creamy and cooked to perfection. I am of Italian heritage and have eaten risotto all my life and it was the best ever, including my own and my mother’s or any I have eaten in Italy. That alone was worth the cost. My fillet was cooked perfectly and was delicious. The lemon dessert was a lovely finish to an exquisite meal. Even the tiny biscuit served with my tea was yummy. The restaurant manager? retrieved our coats and was friendly and engaging suggesting that we should visit your Boston location since we were so pleased with the restaurant. All in all it was a pleasant, albeit pricy experience that I would do again.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank liberolibera
AllysunR1, General Manager at DB Bistro Moderne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

We couldn’t be more honored reading your wonderful review and knowing how much you enjoy dining with us. Thank you for your wonderful compliments for your entire dining experience, especially for our risotto, as well as your kind recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit and hope you do visit our Boston location. Best regards, Allysun Redmond, db Bistro Moderne

Write a reviewReviews (1,425)

Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

Thank you for making our wedding day so special! We had an amazing feast! Everything was so delicious! Highly recommend visiting, the menu is creative and full of flavor! Thanks again! We're definitely coming back!

Date of visit: January 2020
AllysunR1, Owner at DB Bistro Moderne, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2020

You are more than welcome! We truly love to help make celebrations extraordinary, so we are delighted you enjoyed a wonderful wedding day lunch and thank you for taking a moment to share your marvelous compliments. We wish you all the best and look forward to welcoming you again soon! Warm regards, Allysun Redmond, db Bistro Moderne

Reviewed January 12, 2020

The overall experience was just meh! I expected so much more as we were wowed when we visited Daniel a year or so earlier. While I realize not fair to compare to his Michelin 2-star, it was so far inferior as to be a disappointment.

Date of visit: March 2019

Thank you for your feedback. While we are not Chef Daniel’s flagship fine-dining restaurant but rather his upscale bistro concept, we strive to provide delicious yet accessible fare with great service in a lively atmosphere.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to connect with you to hear your thoughts about your experience. Kindly send your email or phone number to ARedmond@danielnyc.com and I will contact you directly. I hope to speak with you soon.

Respectfully,
Allysun Redmond, db Bistro Moderne

Reviewed January 6, 2020

We had a pre-theater dinner here and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had the truffled risotto and it was the creamiest, most perfectly prepared risotto I've ever had. It wasn't over cooked and the truffles were numerous. I had to fight my family off of it. The other dishes my family had were equally as good. It was a smaller place and the noise level was not too loud to have a quiet conversation. Timing was great for pre-theater crowd. I highly recommend.

Date of visit: December 2019
AllysunR1, Owner at DB Bistro Moderne, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2020

Thank you for your lovely compliments for our very special risotto with truffles, we are so glad you enjoyed it, and that your entire dining experience was exceptional. Your wonderful recommendation is also appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you again. Best regards, Allysun Redmond, db Bistro Moderne

Reviewed December 23, 2019

DB's proves that a good happy hour turns strangers into friends. Recommended by our friend, DB's sit blocks from NYC Grand Central Terminal, making it a convenient water hole for folks working in the area.

HH is only available at the bar and at a small communal table, but once the booze flows, walls quickly dissolve. Selfishly, go early when more space is available, as giving a seat away is easier than asking for one in my opinion.

Date of visit: December 2019
AllysunR1, Owner at DB Bistro Moderne, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2019

Dear Maggie, We are delighted to know how much you enjoy our Happy Hour. Thank you for sharing your wonderful review and excellent recommendations. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Best regards, Allysun Redmond, db Bistro Moderne