“Tasty breakfast”
Review of DB Bistro Moderne

DB Bistro Moderne
Reserve with OpenTable
DB Bistro Moderne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #672 of 15,760 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: between 5th and 6th Avenues
Transit: Subway 1,2,3,7,A,C,E,N,Q,R,W Stop at 42nd St. Times Square Subway B,D,F,V Stop at 42nd St. & 6th Avenue
Description: Experience the new db bistro moderne! Chef Daniel Boulud's contemporary French bistro has undergone a complete renovation. With the addition of a handsome new cocktail bar, and a newly-crafted menu by Executive Chef Jim Burke in collaboration with Daniel Boulud. db bistro serves updated bistro classics with a modern twist and market-driven French-American cuisine. Located one block East of Times Square, db bistro is the perfect spot for pre- and post-theater dining, a Midtown business lunch or breakfast 'L'Express' of cappuccino and viennoisserie at the bar. A $48 pre-theater prix-fixe dinner menu is available in addition to a full a la care menu. The Lunch Prix Fixe menu will have you back to your desk of off to a matinee quickly and affordably. DB is happy to host large parties and private events from 14-165 guests.
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Had breakfast here with my wife. The ambience is lovely, with a lot of light entering the dining area. No privacy when dining on the long benches, since you can literally knock against your neighbours' knees. The food was good, my wife had the smoked salmon, while I had the french styled eggs. The portions were small, but adequate for my eating habits.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed June 28, 2010

This restaurant is very stylish and very New York City. The food is tasty and innovative with many choices. It does fill up quickly, as theatre time approaches so we went a little early to avoid the rush. The service was excellent and the wine list is acceptable. Great choice for sophisticated couple wanting to have a dining experience.

Reviewed June 25, 2010

We visit New York 2 times a year and alwaya visit DB Bistro. This is the best food we have had, the salmon with bacon, outstanding!, the prawns very good, the sea bass was pretty good, the bean sauce very good, a little bit too spicy, overall very good. As starters had scargot dish, very good and had the spanish plate to share with jamon iberico, shrimps, calamare and chorizo, very good(the olives were not very good,dry).We passed on dessert since there was not a full creamy fondat. We were told that the chefs are french plus one puertorrican new chef, congratulations! The service overall was good like always but the helpers(all mexicans) were great, very professional, kind and trying to please. Hope they get promoted in the future to do more than just bring the food and bread to the table. On the wine list, this is the first time they do not have an Argentinian or Chile wine by the bottle, last time they had a very good Malbec, come on! it would be nice to have a Chile and Argentina wine for the Latin customers....!Congratulations!

Reviewed May 24, 2010

I'm a big Daniel Boulud fan and have had amazing meals at Cafe Boulud in Florida and Daniel in NYC, so I was eager to eat here on a recent NYC visit. I had a brunch reservation for two and they easily accommodated us when I changed it to three. Also, our party didn't all arrive at the same time, and the went ahead and seated us and didn't complain like some places would. That was the best part.

The restaurant is nicely decorated albeit a bit cramped. Linens, plates, etc. are of good quality. We were quickly given menus, but service proceeded very slowly. There were a lot of waiters (the restaurant was busy) bustling around, but it was hard to get their attention to order.

I ordred the croque monsieur moderne and was so disappointed to find it more like a grilled sandwich on white bread (a la Wonderbread) than an actual croque monsieur. The Mediterranean croque monsieur was similar. Both had good flavor and were accompanied by fresh greens with a lovely dressing. But both sounded a lot better on the menu. We also had a cheese, onion and ham tarte, which was very small and actually was more like cheese on crispy flatbread than an actual tarte, which would imply a crust. We weren't offered refills on coffee, and I had to ask. Food wasn't too pricy, especially for Manhattan and Boulud, but I'm sure we could have found better-tasting food elsewhere.

All in all I feel that this restaurant is why people question if uberchefs like Boulud are overextending themselves. For a good Boulud experience, I would have trouble recommending db Bistro. Perhaps lunch and dinner are better.

Reviewed May 9, 2010

This restaurant was recommended by the concierge at Hotel Elysee and I must admit I had my reservations after I read the reviews here. Nonsense! We had a fantastic meal in a stylish, pleasant environment; professional service. I had the best duck confit this side of the Atlantic!