“Failed to live up to the hype.”
Review of DB Bistro Moderne

DB Bistro Moderne
Reserve with OpenTable
DB Bistro Moderne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #255 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: between 5th and 6th Avenues
Transit: Subway 1,2,3,7,A,C,E,N,Q,R,W Stop at 42nd St. Times Square Subway B,D,F,V Stop at 42nd St. & 6th Avenue
Description: Experience the new db bistro moderne! Chef Daniel Boulud's contemporary French bistro has undergone a complete renovation. With the addition of a handsome new cocktail bar, and a newly-crafted menu by Executive Chef Jim Burke in collaboration with Daniel Boulud. db bistro serves updated bistro classics with a modern twist and market-driven French-American cuisine. Located one block East of Times Square, db bistro is the perfect spot for pre- and post-theater dining, a Midtown business lunch or breakfast 'L'Express' of cappuccino and viennoisserie at the bar. A $48 pre-theater prix-fixe dinner menu is available in addition to a full a la care menu. The Lunch Prix Fixe menu will have you back to your desk of off to a matinee quickly and affordably. DB is happy to host large parties and private events from 14-165 guests.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

After reading many reviews and planning a farewell lunch for a co-worker at this place, I was a bit let down. The service was disinterested and haphazzard. The waiter was hard to locate although he did find time to chat with a friend for long periods of time. The famous burger looked good when it was delivered. I ordered it medium rare and it looked medium rare but it was suffering from severe freezer burn. It was dry and the different meats had no flavor at all. For $32 they can't prepare the burger at the time it's ordered? On the plus side the chilled cream of fennel soup was really good. The fries were among the best I've ever had. The front room is pleasant. My guests shared a dessert that they raved about. So the place still has a lot going for it, but why do they cut corners on something as important as their famous hamburger?

1  Thank Brooklyn-Jared

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Visited here last week while in town and had a really fantastic meal.

As we had theatre tickets, we had an early reservation and were seated at a nice table for two at the back of the restaurant. This gave us nice privacy to enjoy our meal as well as having a good view over the room.

We decided to eat from the a la carte menu rather than the prix fixe (which, incidentally, was extremely good value). I had a potato and leek soup to start while my partner had a beet salad. We both enjoyed the confit duck for main. For dessert, I had a selection of ice cream (I definitely recommend the lemon ice cream, great palate cleanser) while my partner had the chocolate financier.

The wines by the glass were very tasty.

While the food did come out a little too fast for our liking, I guess this is because they were mostly catering for a pre-theatre crowd. Our server was very friendly and not too obtrusive.

I would definitely go back here next time in town.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Food was nice, as we had a light ,real post theater. Service was only okay. It is a great choice per and post theater, as location can't be beat. Nice, modern atmosphere.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

food was perfect, cocktails were mixed and served timely....service was also perfect, he was there when needed and was away when he should have been....a true professional....I would recommend this place to any one looking for food prepared in different and exciting ways.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was my third visit to DB Bistro Moderne. As always it didn't disappoint. Service was friendly and impeccable. My wife had the specialty of the house the DB Burger, which is a combination of sirloin stuffed with braised short ribs and topped with fois gras and truffles. Truly a spectacular burger. I had the crispy duck confit, which was done perfectly. Crispy on the outside and tender in the center. My daughter has the pea agnolotti with lobster. The sauce was excellent and the lobster chunks were perfect with the pea agnolotti. The fresh baked bread assortment was a good accompaniment to the meal. The only negative is the wine list. It was difficult to find a wine under $60.00. There needs to be a selection of good wines in the $30-40 range, and quite frankly they are out there! DB needs to either have a lower markup on their wines (and being familiar with several of their wines their markup is high) or find some more affordable wines. Aside from that an excellent experience, and I will return!