“Great Bistro in Midtown Manhattan”
Review of DB Bistro Moderne

DB Bistro Moderne
Reserve with OpenTable
DB Bistro Moderne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #263 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: between 5th and 6th Avenues
Transit: Subway 1,2,3,7,A,C,E,N,Q,R,W Stop at 42nd St. Times Square Subway B,D,F,V Stop at 42nd St. & 6th Avenue
Description: Experience the new db bistro moderne! Chef Daniel Boulud's contemporary French bistro has undergone a complete renovation. With the addition of a handsome new cocktail bar, and a newly-crafted menu by Executive Chef Jim Burke in collaboration with Daniel Boulud. db bistro serves updated bistro classics with a modern twist and market-driven French-American cuisine. Located one block East of Times Square, db bistro is the perfect spot for pre- and post-theater dining, a Midtown business lunch or breakfast 'L'Express' of cappuccino and viennoisserie at the bar. A $48 pre-theater prix-fixe dinner menu is available in addition to a full a la care menu. The Lunch Prix Fixe menu will have you back to your desk of off to a matinee quickly and affordably. DB is happy to host large parties and private events from 14-165 guests.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was my third visit to DB Bistro Moderne. As always it didn't disappoint. Service was friendly and impeccable. My wife had the specialty of the house the DB Burger, which is a combination of sirloin stuffed with braised short ribs and topped with fois gras and truffles. Truly a spectacular burger. I had the crispy duck confit, which was done perfectly. Crispy on the outside and tender in the center. My daughter has the pea agnolotti with lobster. The sauce was excellent and the lobster chunks were perfect with the pea agnolotti. The fresh baked bread assortment was a good accompaniment to the meal. The only negative is the wine list. It was difficult to find a wine under $60.00. There needs to be a selection of good wines in the $30-40 range, and quite frankly they are out there! DB needs to either have a lower markup on their wines (and being familiar with several of their wines their markup is high) or find some more affordable wines. Aside from that an excellent experience, and I will return!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Heard lots of great things about DB, and after dinner, they were all true. Very nice setting with plenty of room. Deep menu and everything was very well prepared. But, the service was even better. At a restaurant at this price level, you should get great service. Nice wine list and the bartender served up some good cocktails.

Dessert was out of this world.

Enjoy.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I would score my meal at db as 4 1/2 stars for service, 3 1/2 to 4 for food, but only 2 1/2 to 3 for ambience and dining comfort. I made a same day reservation for a party of 4 on Open Table for 5:45pm. This followed a 3:00 Sunday matinee play. When we arrived, our table was ready and we were seated without wait. Service was immediate with water and drink order. Tables were attended by a head server and an assistant. Service was crisp and attentive without being overbearing. A complimentary chef's small plate and a bread assortment was first brought to the table. We started with an appetizer order of the foie gras torchon as well as the shared Taste of the Mediterranean. The foie gras was a large enough portion to allow all 4 diners to have a reasonable sample. It was delicious. The shared platter was plentiful enough that some a small portion of it was left uneaten. Chosen entrees were Crispy Duck Confit, Coq au Vin, Arctic Char, and a special comprised of pork tenderloin and sausage. I ate the Arctic char which was perfectly cooked and flavorful, served with a wonderful sauce as well as gnocchi ,wild mushrooms and broccoletti. I also had a taste of the duck confit which was very good. It was my significant other's reason for choosing this restaurant and she pronounced it excellant. My brother and sister-in-law also praised their meals and I noticed that every plate was cleaned. Food was paired with a nice bottle of wine. Warm mini madeleines for the table was a perfect ending to the meal. The food was served at reasonable intervals and we were never rushed. The downside was the crowded table spacing and the small tables. It is a narrow restaurant and not an inch of space is wasted without a table. Our table was so small that almost everything had to be removed to set the two appetizers. A row of two tops were next to us but for some reason a party of 3 was set at the one next to us. One diners' chair was literally sitting between two of us. When we mentioned the closeness to our server, he agreed it was a little cozy and pulled our table a little out into the aisle which seemed to cause the servers to have to navigate around us. A bill of about $350 without tip finished the experience. I would certainly recommend the restaurant but there exists about 8000 more restaurants I need to visit in NYC before I return (unless the boss says she needs more duck confit).

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had an excellent per theatre dinner last Saturday night. The service was first class. There is a lovely atmosphere in the back room. Book and enjoy!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We love the restaurant Daniel and DB was just down the street from our hotel so had to check it out. This is a very casual place. Food was good. Service was acceptable but not very refined. Always love the burger and is the only reason I ever choose to dine at DB.