“Greek Chic”
Review of Molyvos

Molyvos
Reserve with OpenTable
Molyvos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #209 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 55th and 56th Streets
Transit: 7th Avenue (B, D, E Trains) 57th Street (N, R, Q Trains)
Description: Inspired by the traditions and heritage of the Greek islands and mainland, Molyvos has been one of New York's most beloved Greek restaurants since its opening in 1997. Named after the seaside village on the Greek island of Lesvos where the Livanos family roots originate, Molyvos is known throughout Manhattan for its rustic Greek country cooking. Executive Chef Carlos Carreto takes diners on a Grecian culinary journey through a variety of mezedes and appetizers, as well as hyper-local specialty Greek cheese and honey, fresh fish, wild greens and savory pies - all accompanied by the largest all-Greek wine list in the U.S.
new york city
“Greek Chic”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

One of our favorite places, and it was redesigned a few years ago, I would say Mediterranean Modern, just so comfortable yet elegant. Authentic experience, but expensive. So make it for a special night and order the Grilled Octopus.. it is my favorite!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank clickalicia

• Greek first
New York City, New York
“Good Food. OK service”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I went to this restaurant with two friends, we had a selection of starters, all of which were very good. Ozou grilled halloumi and taramosalata and grilled octopus, I would order them all again, and have no trouble recommending them. Followed by the grilled baby lamb chops, which were absolutely excellent, I had had them before on a previous visit to this restaurant, and they were equally good on both visits. Another member of our party had the seafood pasta, which he liked, though if I had ordered it I would have been disappointed. We were full after our main course, so ordered one desert to share between the three of us. The Filo parcel, stuffed with semolina custard, which was delicious. The portions were a very good size, but you could easily over order, and don't be tempted to fill up on the tempting and tasty pitta bread before your entree arrives, which is hard to resist. The decor leaves a little to be desired, but it's not too loud, and a conversation is entirely possible. You won't come out with a sore throat from yelling a conversation at your companions. The service is a little brusk, not particularly helpful, which leads me to believe our waiter was not knowledgeable about the menu, or perhaps he just wasn't interested. So all our choices were our own, though our waiter did make a wine suggestion, which we tasted and was at best OK. The wine list is all Greek wines. All in all, an easy restaurant to visit for very good food, and conversation, because it's not too loud. Lacking in ambiance and service. It is expensive.

1 Thank KG1962
Hinsdale, IL
“Best Greek food this side of the Atlantic.”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I doubted that we would find better Greek food in America than what we find here in Chicago, but I was proven wrong. The decor was elegant, yet authentic. The service was excellent. And the food was thoughtfully and meticulously prepared. Try the Icarus salad and the grilled octopus - you won't be disappointed. Finish your meal with the delicious milopita (apple pie) topped with cinnamon ice cream. I am already looking forward to my next trip to New York!

Perugia, Italy
“Delicious Greek Food and Excellent Service”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

When visiting New York recently with friends, I chose Molyvos for lunch. I was not disappointed. The food was uniformly excellent. We had the wild greens pie, stuffed calamari, octopus salad and leg of lamb wrap. Everyone in our group thoroughly enjoyed their choices. One of our friends is Greek and she agreed that all the dishes were beautifully prepared and quite authentic. The service was excellent as well. I will certainly consider returning to Molyvos the next time that I visit New York City.

Hong Kong, China
“So delicious that we returned again!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband is a fan of Greek cuisine because of his father's experience of living in Greece. We were so happy to see this restaurant when we were visiting NYC.
In the first visit, we had grilled octopus, stuffed red bell peppers, and haloumi cheese. All were really tasty and authentic. We were delighted to see the restaurant also provides wine from Santorini. We just visited Santorini and the winery there last summer, so, the wine the restaurant provided brought back the fond memory. Wile we were dining, we found there were white asparagus on display. We always could not resist white asparagus, so we made the lunch reservation the following day.
When we returned the next day, we ordered Greek salad, moussaka, and stuffed red bell peppers. The kitchen was also so kind accommodating our request on how we want the white asparagus to be cooked. It was another wonderful, authentic meal!
This restaurant is in a very convenient location and the service is also attentive and wonderful. It is a pity that this restaurant is not in HK!
We highly recommend this one!

Visited May 2014