“Weekend brunch great deal”
Review of Molyvos

Molyvos
Reserve with OpenTable
Molyvos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #189 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 55th and 56th Streets
Transit: 7th Avenue (B, D, E Trains) 57th Street (N, R, Q Trains)
Description: Inspired by the traditions and heritage of the Greek islands and mainland, Molyvos has been one of New York's most beloved Greek restaurants since its opening in 1997. Named after the seaside village on the Greek island of Lesvos where the Livanos family roots originate, Molyvos is known throughout Manhattan for its rustic Greek country cooking. Executive Chef Carlos Carreto takes diners on a Grecian culinary journey through a variety of mezedes and appetizers, as well as hyper-local specialty Greek cheese and honey, fresh fish, wild greens and savory pies - all accompanied by the largest all-Greek wine list in the U.S.
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I had brunch before a show on a Saturday matinee day. The three courses, including a drink, were very good, and the hummus appetizer was one of the best I have eaten. There were four of us at the table and we all enjoyed our meals. I would definitely recommend this restaurant, and I will return to try their dinner menu.

There are newer reviews for Molyvos

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We were in New York for my birthday, and my husband remembered me saying how much I loved my visit to Molyvos last time I was in Manhattan on business. We've visited the real Molyvos town in Lesvos and it's one of our favourite spots in the world, so my husband booked us a table at this restaurant as a surprise, and on the reservation notes he mentioned that we were celebrating a birthday and so requested a nice, quiet table.

When we arrived on time at 6.30, dressed for dinner, the welcome was coolly efficient, and we were ushered towards the back of the half-filled restaurant and given a table right next to the servers' area. If this was a quiet area, it would've been just about acceptable, but it wasn't anywhere close to quiet. The small table was on the main thoroughfare for waiters and waitresses nipping back and forth - and there is a lot of staff here. As is to be expected, the servers' area was in constant use - for fetching cutlery, for fetching glasses, for using the cash register, just for standing by and waiting to clear plates, so when they weren't busy, the staff just stood right next to our table, with their backs to us - at one stage we had three people just stood with their butts at our head level. Now obviously we expect a servers' station to be busy, and another time this wouldn't matter, but this wasn't at all what we imagined when we requested a nice, quiet table. This was not a special, quiet table for a relaxing dinner; this was an AWFUL table, and so disappointing, particularly for my husband who wanted this meal to be special. The final straw was when a woman on a table on the elevated section above us turned away from her fellow diners and sneezed over our table, not realising, until it was too late, that we were sat below her.

We politely asked to move and a manager (someone in a jacket, rather than the standard server attire) seemed really shocked we weren't happy with our table, but she was good enough to fix us up with a better one immediately.

Things improved after this point. The smoked aubergine dip we shared was lovely, the soup I ordered was delicious, the octopus salad was tender and flavoursome, both mains were very nice and they even wrote happy birthday on my dessert plate (so they DID get the special note on my husband's reservation requests). The desserts weren't very authentic, as other reviewers have mentioned, but they were a pleasant way to finish the meal. They serve mythos beer here too, so that was a refreshing reminder of our sunny holidays in Greece.

The staff were always attentive and we had a total of four servers helping with different parts of our meal. Everyone was polite and smiling and friendly.

I was so relieved that things improved as I didn't want my husband to feel like his preparations for a special evening had been in vain.

We noticed that in the time we moved to our new table, another couple were seated at the original, bad table and got through their meals so quickly (such was the frenetic feel of that spot), that they'd already finished up and left before we got our desserts, and another couple were already being seated as we left. They should just get rid of the table, put up a small screen and give some proper room for the busy servers, so that the don't have to huddle around when trying to process checks/get more place settings etc, and have more space - I'm sure they'd appreciate it too.

I'm not sure we'd go back for another dinner, which is a pity, as it's always nice to leave a place with a feeling that you'd like to return. It might be best for lunch, or for business, not for anything special.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Reserved a table before a show on a recent Friday nite for dinner. The restaurant is large and mostly white. White walls and tablecloths and an open feeling make you picture white Greek villages one sees on vacation posters. The service was attentive and professional. Food was nicely prepared and authentic. Many of the fish choices were actually from Greece and the surrounding Mediterranean. Great choice of appetizers and delicious desserts! Plus, I had one heck of a good blood orange martini!

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Go! With lots of friends and share everything! The grilled octopus is amazing--everything is fresh--the staff is friendly and accommodating. We did have a reservation, and had to wait another 10 minutes like everyone who had a 7:30 reservation. We'll go back. Very centrally located!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Step into Molyvos and leave New York... Dining at Molyvos isn't just a meal... it's an experience. Each dish is artfully prepared -- a treat for all of the senses. Delectable dishes, in an atmosphere that transports one to Greece... Festive and eclectic. Make your way to Molyvos.