“NY dining at its best”
Review of Molyvos

Molyvos
Reserve with OpenTable
Molyvos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #162 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 55th and 56th Streets
Transit: 7th Avenue (B, D, E Trains) 57th Street (N, R, Q Trains)
Description: Inspired by the traditions and heritage of the Greek islands and mainland, Molyvos has been one of New York's most beloved Greek restaurants since its opening in 1997. Named after the seaside village on the Greek island of Lesvos where the Livanos family roots originate, Molyvos is known throughout Manhattan for its rustic Greek country cooking. Executive Chef Carlos Carreto takes diners on a Grecian culinary journey through a variety of mezedes and appetizers, as well as hyper-local specialty Greek cheese and honey, fresh fish, wild greens and savory pies - all accompanied by the largest all-Greek wine list in the U.S.
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I hesitate to recommend Molyvos because the next time I want a reservation-they may be full!
I eat there every time I am in NY and last week had the most delicious hanger steak ever! The chicken is also excellent; and they make amazing ice tea. Being near Carnegie hall-it's great for pre concert dining.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I went on a Saturday evening for dinner after the opera. The location is convenient, and it is part of the same restaurant group as Oceana, which we like. The menu offers lots of fish, and it is a little less expensive than Oceana. The service is knowledgeable and attentive, much like Oceana. There is an obvious emphasis on training, which I appreciate. The server, for example, knew the extensive Greek wine list well enough to advise me there were no wines like a Pinot Blanc. Service was not rushed once they understood we were not trying to make a show, and were not in a hurry. Cocktails were well prepared.
This is pretty place, but don't expect a hip-chic young crowd. It's expensive, but in Manhattan there seems to be a steep decline in quality unless you pay top dollar (this is a growing trend I find offensive, as prices are becoming ridiculous). We had plain grilled fish, a couple of nice sides, an appetizer, and one of the nice dips. The food is well-prepared, though not spectacular. It's a reasonable value. You could do a lot worse if you are in the area.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Our appetizer ,of course, Greek salad was perfect..even with purple tomatoes ,together with a well finished Greek white wine. We stayed with the prix fixe menu and had scrumptious cabbage rolls for the entree. We enjoyed two desserts..both exploded with flavour. In addiction excellent service ensuring that we made the concert in time.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have been to Molyvos once before on an earlier visit to NYC. There are so many wonderful places to try in NYC but we needed a place for a light meal prior to a show and the small plates were a perfect way to enjoy the delicious food. We started with the hummus and added the meatballs, the spinach pie and then split the octopus entree. Service is always spot on and prompt. The wine list provides for all tastes and budgets. We mentioned to friends where we had eaten and they went the next night. I look forward to visiting this restaurant during our next visit to NYC.

Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I can't even begin to explain how impressed I was with my entire experience at this restaurant. My husband and I are big foodies and we do not impress easily. From the minute you walk into this restaurant it is impressive. Fancy and classy. The staff are all accommodating and lovely. The bartender opened a new
Bottle of wine when I ordered a glass at the bar and let me taste it before I made my decision- a small gesture but much appreciated.
Our dinner was outrageous. One dish better than the next. The grilled octopus is mandatory!!! Hummus was delicious. The sea bass was stuffed and surrounded by grape leaves-- another great selection.
Dessert was fantastic too. I don't have anything negative to say at all. It was a wonderful experience and I would certainly return again.