“Outstanding ”
Review of Molyvos

Molyvos
Reserve with OpenTable
Molyvos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #189 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 55th and 56th Streets
Transit: 7th Avenue (B, D, E Trains) 57th Street (N, R, Q Trains)
Description: Inspired by the traditions and heritage of the Greek islands and mainland, Molyvos has been one of New York's most beloved Greek restaurants since its opening in 1997. Named after the seaside village on the Greek island of Lesvos where the Livanos family roots originate, Molyvos is known throughout Manhattan for its rustic Greek country cooking. Executive Chef Carlos Carreto takes diners on a Grecian culinary journey through a variety of mezedes and appetizers, as well as hyper-local specialty Greek cheese and honey, fresh fish, wild greens and savory pies - all accompanied by the largest all-Greek wine list in the U.S.
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I can't even begin to explain how impressed I was with my entire experience at this restaurant. My husband and I are big foodies and we do not impress easily. From the minute you walk into this restaurant it is impressive. Fancy and classy. The staff are all accommodating and lovely. The bartender opened a new
Bottle of wine when I ordered a glass at the bar and let me taste it before I made my decision- a small gesture but much appreciated.
Our dinner was outrageous. One dish better than the next. The grilled octopus is mandatory!!! Hummus was delicious. The sea bass was stuffed and surrounded by grape leaves-- another great selection.
Dessert was fantastic too. I don't have anything negative to say at all. It was a wonderful experience and I would certainly return again.

There are newer reviews for Molyvos

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went expecting a fabulous meal due to location and reviews. Arrived at 9:30 on a Friday night and they sat us quickly. Service was impeccable. My husband ordered off the prix fix menu. He had a stuffed pepper with an eggplant stuffing (good). He ordered the salmon but they were out if it so he had a whitefish grilled (good) and chocolate baklava for dessert (excellent). I ordered lamb ribs for the appetizer. It was overlooked, dry and had so much glaze on it . The glaze was not a positive attribute for the lamb. I ordered a Greek white fish stuffed w/rice and chopped peppers wrapped and cooked in grape leaves. The fish itself was delicious but the stuffing nothing great. There were no herbs in the stuffing, it was extremely bland. The grape leaves were all dried out and not able to eat. The bill was quite pricey and I really thought we were going to have this fabulous Manhattan Greek experience, which we didn't. We won't be going back. We attended a concert at Carnegie Hall and the restaurant was walking distance on a frigid, windy night. As I said at the beginning, the service was outstanding, ambiance beautiful and host was welcoming.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This place is simply outstanding. Everything from appetizers to dessert was executed flawlessly. The fish in particular was the best. One of my best fish dishes ever. The baklava was outstanding. Service was great as well and so was the ambiance of the restaurant.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Molyvos, a wonderful Mediterranean food style experience. I had the Hirini Brizola or Roasted Niman Ranch Pork Chop and my wife had the Molyvos Moussaka. The flavors and tastes were wonderful, the pork chop perfectly cooked. We dined off the dinner menu but there is a pre/post theater prix fixe dinner menu with limited choices as well. Located on 7th Ave between 55th & 56th street, the theater district is just a short walk away.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I had a business lunch and it was fabulous. The fish is simply prepared with olive salt and pepper and grill. Excellent Greek Salad and great octopus appetizer. Very consistent and never disappoints. On the expensive side but "you get what you pay for".