“Great wines and food”
Review of Molyvos

Molyvos
Reserve with OpenTable
Molyvos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #166 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 55th and 56th Streets
Transit: 7th Avenue (B, D, E Trains) 57th Street (N, R, Q Trains)
Description: Inspired by the traditions and heritage of the Greek islands and mainland, Molyvos has been one of New York's most beloved Greek restaurants since its opening in 1997. Named after the seaside village on the Greek island of Lesvos where the Livanos family roots originate, Molyvos is known throughout Manhattan for its rustic Greek country cooking. Executive Chef Carlos Carreto takes diners on a Grecian culinary journey through a variety of mezedes and appetizers, as well as hyper-local specialty Greek cheese and honey, fresh fish, wild greens and savory pies - all accompanied by the largest all-Greek wine list in the U.S.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were in NYC for a double-header theater experience (matinee and evening performances) and decided to try this restaurant in between. As we entered, we were greeted and had our coats checked. We were a bit early so we went to the bar. The bar-tender was very personable and seemed to know a lot about the Greek wines. He asked our preferences and gave us sample tastings so we could better pick our wines (there were 4 of us and had 3 different wines).

We were then seated and the wait staff was great. Water glasses were kept filled, the waitress was there when we needed her, and she was knowledgeable about the food. We had 2 shared appetizers and 4 different main courses. We all enjoyed our meals but my lamb shank was one of the best that I've ever had. The meat fell of the bone and was moist and juicy. It was served over orzo with a tomato-based sauce. I could not finish all of it. And the wine pairing (suggested by the waitress) was spot on. And the ambiance was good: nice decor, tables not too close, and a nice pre-theater buzz. Highly recommend Molyvos - we'd all go back.

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I've been here twice and it was amazing both times! The place isn't too big but it's very classy quiet and comfortable. Great for a date. My boyfriend and I ordered the moussaka and steak along with a bottle of wine. It was all delicious and I'll definitely be back. Nice and attentive staff as well.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

While our entrees were very good (I had sea bass and my husband had the lamb shank) we were disappointed in the appetizers and dessert. The lamb stuffed phyllo pockets were dry and my husband's order of cucumber salad was just sliced cucumber, nothing else, no dressing, no nothing. Really? My fish entrée was very good but at $50 (based on the weight of the whole fish before cooking) I would have thought they could provide a starch and vegetable. Evidently I had to order those a la carte like you do in a fine steak restaurant. The baklava dessert was dried out so that also detracted from the experience. Service was very good and I enjoyed the Greek wine I ordered.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Terrific pace! Fish absolutely delicious, very nice atmosphere, service not as should as it should be, but the delicious appetizers and entrees make up somewhat. The food is simply just so fresh its really hard to find anything like it, and while not cheap, it is not outrageously expensive.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

The food was great, very authentic. The best glass of iced tea, they served it with a cinnamon stick and fresh mint leaves.

1  Thank tilleybird