“Fantastic Greek food”
Review of Molyvos

Molyvos
Reserve with OpenTable
Molyvos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #161 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 55th and 56th Streets
Transit: 7th Avenue (B, D, E Trains) 57th Street (N, R, Q Trains)
Description: Inspired by the traditions and heritage of the Greek islands and mainland, Molyvos has been one of New York's most beloved Greek restaurants since its opening in 1997. Named after the seaside village on the Greek island of Lesvos where the Livanos family roots originate, Molyvos is known throughout Manhattan for its rustic Greek country cooking. Executive Chef Carlos Carreto takes diners on a Grecian culinary journey through a variety of mezedes and appetizers, as well as hyper-local specialty Greek cheese and honey, fresh fish, wild greens and savory pies - all accompanied by the largest all-Greek wine list in the U.S.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Came here during my visit to New York. Visited for lunch first, then came back a second time for dinner because the food was so good. Before your main, they bring out warm pita bread and some another delicious kind of bread with olives (not cold unlike some other restaurants) with some kind of Greek dip (which has red peppers and feta i'm sure) for you to snack on. The first time I came I had grilled octopus for an appetizer... i decided to be adventurous. It was pretty great. When i went for dinner, i had the grilled vegetables with some kind garlic dip and pita bread - the vegetables were grilled / spiced (soft, not undercooked) . Sounds simple, but for something simple, this tasted amazing.

For the mains, I had moussaka (VERY filling) and red snapper over rice pilaf with truffle oil/feta/roasted butternut squash the second time. Again, delicious and the portions were ample.The fish was tender and well prepared. Prices are very reasonable for lunch. yes, you can pay close to 30 for a main dish for dinner, but again quite reasonable for the quality you are getting!

The atmosphere is lovely as well... more noise for dinner but still pleasant.

A special thanks to our Romanian waitress, whose name I don't know, but she provided outstanding service and was a really nice person to chat with as well (she gave us a museum recommendation). The second time we came we had a waiter who was either overwhelmed or less than attentive, because we had to quite a while to order, but she stepped in and took our order.

Would for sure recommend this restaurant if you are visiting or live in NYC. The restaurant is located in Times Square, but isn't excessively noisy.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

From the moment I entered Molyvos, the staff was both efficient and helpful. The Matre'd aided in choosing a meal that accommodated all my dietary limitations. The food is as excellent as that we had in Athens, Greece and at reasonable prices. I returned a second time with family that live in NYC as the quiet ambience was perfect for conversation during excellent dining.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We told them we had a theater booking and they promised to get us out in time -- they delivered on that promise, but more than that, they gave each of us a delicious meal. The canneloni were quite filling; the moussaka proportioned perfectly. We couldn't manage dessert, but I got a good decaf coffee.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I've lived in Manhattan for 23 years. Worked near Molyvos for 8. But I've never been there before a night this September for dinner when a college friend was in town. We wanted a quite nice place to catch up with great food and this was the place.

What a gem! I was early and had a glass of wine at the bar. The bartender was lovely and picked a beautiful wine for me. It was so good, I drank it the rest of the night.
We split a salad, had the hummus and tzatziki and shared a beautiful sea bass. Then had the fruit for dessert. Everything was so fresh and presented so beautifully.
I'm sorry I waited so long to have my first experience at Molyvos. I will definitely be going back.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Nice atmosphere, great service and good food. The Greek salad was amazing. Flavorful purple tomatoes, really good feta and a handful of capers for good measure. We all loved it! Our main dishes - stuffed peppers, lamb shank and cannelloni were also very good.
Highly recommended!