“Small portions, good taste, high prices!!”
Review of FireBird Russian Restaurant - CLOSED

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 8th and 9th Avenue
Transit: 1,2,3,7,A,C,E,N,R,Q,W,S to 42nd Street Time Square Station
Description: Firebird, Opulent decor, "Regal" service, and "Divine" Vodkas that may inspire you to shout, "Bring back the Tsar" (Zagat). If you only dine once in Manhattan, dine like a Tsar. Lunch from 11:45am - 2:30 pm Lunch Pre-Fixe $21 and $44.95 Dinner Pre-Fixe available everyday from 5pm - 7pm.
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Visited Firebird Restaurant recently. Never had Russian food before and why not?, we gave it a try. Food is good. Cannot comment much on Russian food since it was our first time, the flavor and the quality were great. Wife had the dumplings and the salmon. The dumplings were small, 3 per order, prepared with a dark watery sauce which had a strong mushroom flavor. The salmon was excellent. Not dry. Well prepared, but again, the portion is way too small for the price($19.00). I ordered sweet potato soup, delicious in my opinion. Creamy, cheesse, and wonderful flavor. We also ordered the seafood tower for two(not in the menu) and it was also good. It brought two small, steamed Maine lobsters(claws and all), about one dozen oysters, half dozen clams, probably 4 small stone crab claws already cracked for you, and a small container with crab salad. A shot og vodka and a glass of Prosecco. For dessert, we ordered chocolate cream Brulee, wich was also good. Not too bad for Russian food starters. Recommend the restaurant, but for a party of two, do not estimate less than $150+

1  Thank alexmoral

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I ordered Beef Stroganoff and it was served over mashed potatoes! Very disappointed!! I asked our waiter about the potatoes and his response was that the chef was out of noodles. I was not informed of this change when I placed my order. We also ordered Strawberries Romanoff that was described on the menu with a Gran Manier reduction. It was basically vanilla ice cream, sliced strawberries mixed with what seemed to be a store bought caramel sauce. We again mentioned this to our waiter who asked the chef to speak to us but to no avail. It was my birthday and my friend called ahead and asked for a little something to celebrate. Never appeared. The only positive would be the atmosphere.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We had a very nice dinner there, our choice was Salmon and it was excellent. The chocolate raspberry cake was very good and the decor was very nice. The only thing that rattled my cage on the evening was $28 for a Scotch which was supposed to be a double but was a single. Small deal when considering everything else this restaurant has going for it.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The service was extraordinary at FireBird and the beef stroganoff and seafood tower were awesome. Great choices of vodkas in a beautiful setting - loved it!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Who knew I liked Russian food? I had never tried it before, and actually didn't even know it had it's own specific type of food. I briefly glanced over the menu for Firebird and saw a seafood tower and decided this was the place. When we got there, there was barely any seafood on the menu! So I tried my first Chicken Kiev. It came with a little presentation of letting the butter seep out, and when I finally dug in, it was delicious. Like anywhere in NYC, the price tag wasn't cheap for 2 entrees, 1 martini, and a bottle of wine, but it was worth it. The staff was all Russian, and while the hostesses were very friendly, the waiters catered to people they thought would spend more money, and being a young couple, we got overlooked a few times (our waters were empty, we had to ask for bread). Our waiter did inform us that the meals would take 30-40 minutes to cook which was nice because we had a show to catch after. The atmosphere was nice: not too formal, not too casual. It felt like we were eating dinner in our living room (with about 30 other people). Due to the high cost and slight lack of attention, we would probably be more inclined to try somewhere else next time, but if we had an incentive to go back we definitely would for the good food.