“Fantastic food and service”
Review of Pomaire - CLOSED

Pomaire
Cuisines: American, Chilean, Latin, South American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 8th and 9th Avenues
Description: La Pulperia, a restaurant featuring rustic Latin cuisine from Chef/Owner Carlos Barroz and Victor Medina, opened on Monday, February 11 on Restaurant Row, at 371 W. 46th Street. Named for the general stores found throughout South America, La Pulperia offers Barroz’s simple yet refined food from the countries of Latin America, with European influences from places like Italy and Spain. La Pulperia, designed by Andres Gomez (Red Rooster, Whitehall, SoCo) mirrors the authentic pulperias of South America, with handcrafted floor tiles from Mexico, reclaimed wood from Brazil on the ceiling and walls, and abundant shelving displaying top shelf liquor, fresh produce, and wine. Eventually the restaurant will sell packaged foods, like its namesake. It seats 60 (including a long burgundy banquette along one wall and a large communal table in the center of the dining room). Gomez’s handmade brass lamps with Edison bulbs hang over several of the tables.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Fantastic food and service”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Pomaire is now La Pulperia -- a lovely and cozy restaurant in the NYC theater district. The food was delectable and the service superb! Although we made a reservation using Open Table (which I love because it simplifies the entire process), we elected to eat at the bar and had a wonderful time with Olga, the bartender. This restaurant has given an inordinate amount of attention to their cocktail menu, and it does NOT disappoint. If you like spicy drinks, be sure to try the El Chilango. It was fantastic!

As for our meal selection, the men in our party raved on about the richness of the pappardelle. My friend and I elected to choose a few appetizers and share -- both the traditional guacamole and the salmon brulee (one of two chef specialties) were fresh, yet each displayed a very complex set of flavors. However, the pièce de résistance and the second of the chef specialties, was the taquitos de langosta. We enjoyed them so much we ordered a second serving so our husbands could try them. They were absolutely remarkable!

Victor (co-owner) and George (GM) were both on hand Saturday night (4/20/13) and were very gracious and thoughtful hosts. Both dropped by the bar to chat with our party and made us feel like we were having dinner with family. Having been open only a couple of months, the masterminds behind this concept on Restaurant Row have compiled a staff that has completely “bought in” from the front to the back of the house – and it shows! Congratulations on a job well done! Can’t wait to return.

• Visited April 2013

Zanesville, Ohio
“An amazing experience!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We visited the restaurant for the first time this past weekend. First the service was amazing! Everyone from the bartender, server, owner and general manager were fabulous! All were incredibly gracious and provided us with tremendous amounts of information regarding various menu options. Their cocktails were amazing. We were fortunate enough to sample various ones amongst our group. The El Chilango was really outstanding. The food was amazing. We really enjoyed the Taquitos De Longosta, Salmon Brulee and house made guacamole. This establishment will definitely be a prime stop on our next trip to NYC.

• Visited April 2013
Portland Oregon
“Great Food, Friendly Service”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I love to visit this restaurant when I am in New York. A friend recommended it and I was traveling alone. I didn't want an entree and just asked if I could have a sampling of small items. They happily fulfilled my request and I was able to eat an drink my way through their menu without eating just an entree. Portion sizes are good too if you are looking for an entree.

• Visited June 2012
Bessemer, Alabama
“Chilean food at it's best!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Visited on a Thursday night. Food was so fresh and good. Fresh homemade bread with fresh "salsa" which we could not get enough of. Everyone enjoyed their meal. The employees were more like host and made you feel more of a welcomed guest than just a customer. Would definitely go back again.

• Visited January 2013
New York
“Delicious but Pricey”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've been going to Pomaire for years and although it's located in my not so favorite area of the Theater District, I still make an effort to stop in once in a while.My go to dish is the Pastel de Choclo, a very hearty stew of meat and chicken topped with golden corn. It's really delicious and filling -- I would recommend two people sharing one.

My only complaint is that is seems to be getting more and more expensive for simple "country" style meals. The salads are very fresh but $9 for a salad consisting of celery and half a sliced avocado is a bit much. The soup which is a more of a consomme was $10. I left with $100 less in my wallet for a lunch for two.

• Visited December 2012