“Very Good Meal”
Review of La Grenouille

La Grenouille
Reserve with OpenTable
La Grenouille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #87 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between Fifth and Madison Avenues
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Very good meal but not outstanding. Quite a pleasant place and experience. My wife's crab cake appetizer was not as good as expected. My entre of scallops was very good. So was my wife's entre. The cheese course was not as good as expected. The brie was great but the others were ordinary. We have had much better in France. The chocolate soufflé was very good. The service was very good and the atmosphere was outstanding. What a pretty place.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

This five star restaurant was a disappointment. The food was very good, but the service was poor. They could not wait to serve us and get us out for the next party. There was no time to talk and relax. There are far better restaurants in NYC.

4  Thank Bargerlaw
Reviewed May 31, 2014

La Grenouille is a lovely step back into a time gone by. Men must wear jackets, and yes the flowers really are that beautiful (5*). The restaurant is smaller than you'd expect, but that's NY. Its similar to the theaters, smaller, but more intimate. Our appetizers were 5* amazing, the entrees were 4*, and the service was top notch 5*. Note: when the bill comes you will see 2 places for tip- the captain, and the wait staff. It is traditional for the wait staff to get 15%, and the captain whatever you choose (typically 5%); I had to ask since I had never seen this before.

1  Thank emme45
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We had eaten at a superb restaurant the night before and had anticipated another evening of such an enjoyable culinary experience. Unfortunately we were disappointed. First there is a fixed menu price for a 3 course meal. We do not indulge in deserts and would have forgone the mediocre selection and taste of the available choices. The appetizers were mundane and the main selection was good but not memorable. However the flower arrangements were spectacular! It was an experience that the price will be discussed more than the quality, taste and presentation of the food.

3  Thank lizjoan
Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband had organised a surprise trip to NYC and booked us a table at La Grenouille for our second evening. The restaurant is incredible. The first thing you notice is the incredible fresh smell of the flowers: there are giant bouquets of fresh flowers and branches that give the feel of being in a garden or conservatory. We had a corner table by the crimson velvet blanquet. This was our very first visit, but we were very warmly welcome as if we were long lost friends: a beautiful feel. I am French and I certaintly did not expect this very french experience in NYC! The food was succulent, it was a 'délice' on your plate, the wines are exquisite, and the atmosphere is that very comfortable old and very chic French.....I felt as if I had travelled back in time, where Edith Piaf could have just simply turned up. We both loved the charm of the place so much, we have rated this restaurant our best ever (and we have travelled a lot and been to many beautiful places)!
We also had cheeses and desserts (the soufflés are to die for) that were superb....
The restroom is worth a visit (and a long stay ladies) - very shiny!!
To sum it up, a FABULOUS place we did not want to live....I felt like Alice in Wonderland....and thank you for looking after us so well on my birthday night!!!! Nous reviendrons très vite, à tres bientôt les amis