“Great food, interesting experience.”
Review of La Grenouille

La Grenouille
Reserve with OpenTable
La Grenouille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between Fifth and Madison Avenues
Aberdeen
“Great food, interesting experience.”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

As stated in other reviews, men require a dinner jacket. My wife and I decided to try this restaurant based on a TimeOut review. It didn't mention the formal clothing requirements so I was just wearing a patterned shirt and smart trousers, but I was provided with a jacket on the door and we weren't made to feel out of place at all. I just wish I'd chosen a shirt that looked better with a jacket!!

Once we were seated, we were presented with a fixed price menu and we made our choices. The food was excellent, as was the service. I had lobster ravioli, followed by duck then the souffle. Echoing other reviewers, the duck was exceptional and the highlight of the meal for me.

I'd highly recommend Le Grenouille. Just make sure you wear a shirt that looks good with a jacket, or be prepared and bring your own.

• Visited March 2014

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A bit too floral for a business lunch”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Very good food and faultless service, but maybe a bit too floral for 4 guys having a business lunch. Perfect for couples or ladies who lunch.

Visited February 2014
Bloomfield, New Jersey
“Formal and elegant yet very friendly.”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Food was excellent! Best duck I ever had. Didn't think they could make clams special, but the sauce on the baked clams was one of the hits of the meal. Souffles were very rich so I can't imagine getting a "medium"; a small was more than enough!

The room sets the mood. Elegant and regal but the fresh flowers prevent it from being cold and impersonal. Service is attentive and friendly, but not intrusive. The owner, Charles Masson, strolls from table to table making everyone feel like they are special. One of the few places were you can dress up as much as you like and not feel out of place or overdressed.

Congratulations Monsieur Masson! You have preserved a real gem for all of us to enjoy!!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank jsanta59
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't need to speak French.”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were looking for a place for lunch and just walked into La Grenouille and had the best lunch ever and you don't have to speak French. Men do need to have a jacket, but they are more than happy to give you one, we did feel a little awkward when we first entered because we were dressed very casual but the staff makes you feel welcomed. I don't speak or read French but they explained all the dishes. The restaurant is so beautiful with flowers everywhere, so elegant and we don't normally like French food but we loved what we had and the prices were reasonable. The service was phenomenal and when we left they all thanked us for coming. We will definitely go back for dinner next time but will be dressed for it, very special place.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Mimi and P
Essex
“Hope you can speak french - pretentious!”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

On a cold, snowy, dark, night after a long day at work, we entered this beautiful location.
We were ushered upstairs, as we were unaware that it is truly a jacket and tie restaurant. Jackets are provided if you do not have one.
I consider this to be a pretentious restaurant, as when you arrive and are seated, you are spoken to in French Which is initially fine. But if I were the staff, when you reply in English, my manners would tell me to speak English and not french. But guess what, they continue to speak French (and I am not talking about the menu). I have travelled the world (and France on numerous occasions) and have never felt so uncomfortable and unwelcome. Guess what - we will not be back.
Of the many restaurants that I have had the pleasure to enjoy, this is one of a few that are in a "class of their own", to be polite. We chose to leave, with apologies, before partaking of their delights.
To those that enjoy this old world (and soon to be extinct) service, may I say "pouvez-vous le plaisir de votre expérience culinaire".

Visited February 2014