“Don't go for the food...”
Review of Sardi's Restaurant

Sardi's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Sardi's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,238 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 7th and 8th
Transit: 42nd Street Station
Reviewed May 23, 2013

But for the history and the ambience. And yes, you can still find
current performers dining there---if you have a union card, check out the Actors Menu.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,719)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

After being joyfully entertained at the musical "Motown", we decided to stop by Sardi's for an appetizer and a cocktail before going back to our hotel.
The bar area was small and intimate. I was very surprised when the bartender dropped three very small olives into my vodka martini glass with no toothpick to get them out. They did not have any olives with pimento stuffing, much less blue cheese, etc.. This is definitely not a modern bar regarding upscale drinks.
The dining room walls were filled with caricatures of celebrities and that itself was worth a visit there. We had fun, and toasted with several other couples who were also visiting Manhattan from out of town to celebrate anniversaries. Cannot comment on the food. We didn't see anything on the appetizer menu that appealed to us, and they didn't have peanuts or chips.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had come to Sardi's years ago, and last time it was lively, but a fine dining experience. The waiter was 'at your service' and seemed to be ours alone whenever we needed anything. It had a more reverent feel. We saw Carol Channing and another NY actor seated and eating dinner there, so we felt like we'd discovered a gem.

This time, we were led upstairs (didn't know there was an upstairs - felt as though, despite our reservation, we were being shoved up there), and it was very busy and loud. The service was just ok - lots of waiters milling around, but we waited 15 minutes to give our dessert order after he dropped off the menu. That's not "long" to wait, but compared to my last experience, it was surprising. The food I ordered was excellent, but I didn't feel special anymore, just one of the masses.

Of course the location is excellent - it's busy because it's close to all the Broadway theatres. I wouldn't return only because there are so many other options.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I still remember an episode of I Love Lucy where she ate at Sardi's. Great atmosphere with celebrity caricatures filling every space on every wall. Food was tasty and adequate portions. Our waiter was excellent. Excellent service. Glad to have had the experience. .

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We came here before seeing Matilda across the road. We had left dinner a little late so popped in here on the off chance we could get a table and they could serve us in time for the show and it wasn't a problem! In fact, the host asked if we were going to see a show and promised we'd have eaten and paid long before the start - and he was right. The restaurant is really quirky, with charactures of all sorts of Broadway stars all over the walls... Fascinating!! The staff were amazing - there were so many waiters! I had the tofu curry which was average but I believe that everyone else's dinner was fantastic! I'd definitely come back and try something else.

1  Thank sofic88