“Great place with friends or family but I wasn't too impress with the food.”

Virgil's Real BBQ -Time Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Virgil's Real BBQ -Time Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #337 of 14,378 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadway and 44th
Transit: LOCATED ON WEST 44TH STREET BET. BROADWAY AND 6TH AVE. A,B,D,E,F,1,2,3,N,R,Q,W. TRAINS to 42nd street times square.
Description: Virgil's Real Barbecue has been acclaimed as one of America's top 10 BBQ restaurants. Established 1994, Virgil's meats are smoked at a low temperature over indirect heat for up to ten hours with a unique mix of hickory, oak and fruit woods in order to impart the most flavor. Virgil's Real BBQ is located in Times Square, New York.
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

The service was great, the place was always packed but I expected more with the food. We had the "pig out" which was enough to share among two people. The meat was rough, chewy, not at all falling off the bone. The bake beans were awesome, Mac & cheese very cheesy but the fries and coleslaw were not my favorite. The kids chicken tenders were awesome - crisp and totally homemade (best I've seen).

Write a ReviewReviews (3,646)

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I recently visited NYC and on my last day visited Virgil's. I wasn't sure what to expect of a BBQ restaurant in NYC, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a great value for the amount of food I got and it was tasty!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

If you are in the mood for some BBQ in the Time Square area, I would check this place out. Large portions, service is good, but its quite busy during peak eating times. Had the brisket and cornbread, and both were decent. I would go back if in the area and felt like BBQ.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I don't necessarily know what to expect from a "real BBQ" restaurant in New York but found this place to provide excellent service, large portions of tasty food. There are a number of different options that allow you to select a differing number of meats. So you can for instance select just chicken, or add ribs, pulled pork, etc. We had so much for the main we didn't need much else and therefore it worked out quite affordable, which was a pleasant change in New York where a lot of places are overpriced. I would definitely go again if there wasn't so much selection!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Ribs were way overcooked. Had to use a knife and fork. Biscuits, mac and cheese, and cornbread were better. But nothing to rave about.

Portions are big. Service quite good. Able to accommodate us last minute on a Friday night. So there are definite pluses.

Not really a family restaurant but they did give us a big table for our 2 kids.

So, it is fine but I just wouldn't go out of my way to visit.

1  Thank bigpoppaprof