“Enjoyed the majority of the meal.”

Virgil's Real BBQ -Time Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Virgil's Real BBQ -Time Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #335 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadway and 44th
Transit: LOCATED ON WEST 44TH STREET BET. BROADWAY AND 6TH AVE. A,B,D,E,F,1,2,3,N,R,Q,W. TRAINS to 42nd street times square.
Description: Virgil's Real Barbecue has been acclaimed as one of America's top 10 BBQ restaurants. Established 1994, Virgil's meats are smoked at a low temperature over indirect heat for up to ten hours with a unique mix of hickory, oak and fruit woods in order to impart the most flavor. Virgil's Real BBQ is located in Times Square, New York.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

First, the other reviews that are out there, which says the portion sizes are large....believe them! We had so much food between the three of us and unfortunately there were things that just went to waste. I suggest consolidating your orders because you are going to have way more than you need.
Secondly, we enjoyed almost everything we had. I personally did not like their ribs, due to the fact the meat was not tender enough. It was rather chewy. The taste was very good, just not the tenderness. Everything else; shrimp, pulled pork, chicken and sides were all very good.
Make sure to make reservations, as this place was packed!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

All I have to say is Trainwreck fries, Savannah Salad, and Fall of the Porch Iced Tea. Everything on the menu is excellent and the service is great. It does get very busy when people are waiting for the Broadway Theaters to open so get there before 6 or after 8 weekdays and weekends. I recommend finding a place at the bar and making friends with the wonderful bar tenders. I have a bunch of friends who are vegetarians and they love Virgils. We order the Trainwreck fries and the Savannah salad with the meat on the side which is great for me because I end up getting more meat. If you have too much to drink try the peppered popcorn. For dessert you most try the Key Lime pie.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Honestly, this place serves disgusting, pre-prepaierd meals.
We ordered, and the meals were on the table withing 90 seconds. Does that tell you "cooked to order" or sitting in a pile waiting to be served?

Dry ribs, stale fries, inedible grits... Garbage!

5  Thank Mrmukk
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've been to NYC 3 times and visited Virgil's 4 times the first in 2006 and latest time in April 2013. The experience was exactly the same. Same decor, service and food. The only thing that had changed is my platte and my understanding of good food. I would say that the food is very good, American hearty soul food. Brisket is good, but the BBQ baked beans and cornbread is excellent. I would say I've had better tasting meat (but still very good) while in NYC but the additional sides make the meal. There frozen mojito are fantastic, large, very alcoholic, cold and tasty. If in time square well worth a visit.

1  Thank Jam1980
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I never go for the "Real" BBQ. I actually think their BBQ is not that good. What I do like is their greens. Best greens I've had outside of the south (might actually be better than some in the south). They also have great french fries that they smother in cheese and top off with sour cream, bacon, scallions and jalapenos.