“Great BBQ Food - Huge Portions”

Virgil's Real BBQ -Time Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Virgil's Real BBQ -Time Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #854 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadway and 44th
Transit: LOCATED ON WEST 44TH STREET BET. BROADWAY AND 6TH AVE. A,B,D,E,F,1,2,3,N,R,Q,W. TRAINS to 42nd street times square.
Description: Virgil's Real Barbecue has been acclaimed as one of America's top 10 BBQ restaurants. Established 1994, Virgil's meats are smoked at a low temperature over indirect heat for up to ten hours with a unique mix of hickory, oak and fruit woods in order to impart the most flavor. Virgil's Real BBQ is located in Times Square, New York.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were very pleased with the food served here on a recent trip to NYC. Despite being located so close to Times Square it really wasn't your usual crappy tourist trap that's overpriced with tasteless fried food. Nice big place so you are not all crammed in like sardines. Portions are huge and prices are very reasonable.

Try the 'Pig Out' if you like BBQ food - Memphis Style Pork Spare Ribs, Sliced Texas Beef Brisket
Carolina Pulled Pork & Barbecued ¼ Chicken served with 2 sides for $28.

Would certainly return.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,726)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

One of the best steaks of my life. Tender but really tasty. Loved the service and the family atmosphere. It is not a pretentious place just because it is 3 seconds from Times Square. It is a real BBQ southern place in time and space as i would imagine it. Even the kind of people that eat here are 'souther': loud, happy and... hungry :)

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Absolutely going back here. We had the chicken wings which were recommended by a diner sitting next to us. They were more than enough for an appetizer for the 2 of us. They were delicious! I would go back just for the wings alone. I had a pick 2 combo I chose pulled pork and brisket. For sides I had Mac and cheese and mashed potatoes with gravy. I loved the Mac and cheese more than any I have ever had! My husband had the pick 2 with the ribs and pulled pork. All the meat was amazing. I can not wait to go back. I wish I had room for desert! Maybe next time.

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

For such a centrally located eaterie, we were delighted by the quality of the food and the friendliness & efficiency of the staff. Just great.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The barbeque is good for NYC, but probably only soso if you are from barbeque parts of the country. Small, crowded tables. Would be nicer if it was a little more spread out.