“From customer service to the quality of food, this place is the best!!!”

Virgil's Real BBQ -Time Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Virgil's Real BBQ -Time Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #335 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadway and 44th
Transit: LOCATED ON WEST 44TH STREET BET. BROADWAY AND 6TH AVE. A,B,D,E,F,1,2,3,N,R,Q,W. TRAINS to 42nd street times square.
Description: Virgil's Real Barbecue has been acclaimed as one of America's top 10 BBQ restaurants. Established 1994, Virgil's meats are smoked at a low temperature over indirect heat for up to ten hours with a unique mix of hickory, oak and fruit woods in order to impart the most flavor. Virgil's Real BBQ is located in Times Square, New York.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Okay, get ready to pay a little more than your average BBQ restaurant, because meals are about $20 or more. However, I will say the food is well worth it. I have to start by saying I am from Texas and I know good BBQ. In fact, I had friends who could not believe I would eat at a BBQ restaurant in NYC. However, upon entering the restaurant, I could tell by the smell it was going to be good. Their placemats are great as they show all the places in the south to which they traveled to find good BBQ to rival.
And rival they do!!
I ordered a brisket and "trash ribs" plate----each plate comes with two sides.
The brisket was as tasty as I had ever had in Texas and the ribs were really good too---smaller bits of ribs marinated in a vinegary sauce. I ordered mac n' cheese and potato salad, both of which would make you want to "slap your mama". All plates come with cornbread. I am a Texas anomaly on that front---I don't care for cornbread, but it looked good.
Your napkin is a towel and you will likely need it.
Yum, yum, yum!!!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Perhaps it was because it was Mardi Gras week, but the atmosphere was confusing. As it was a bbq location, you might expect jazz or country. Instead it was a crazy mix. The decor was a confused blend. Fun staff that dealt well with a larger group. Delicious food - loved the mac n cheese. Drinks were strong... good work.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

When i went to virgil's steakhouse i felt in love with this restaurant! I tried TRAINWRECK FRIES and they were amazing!! I love them I took also a bacon cheeseburger and the only word I can think for describing the baconcheeseburger it's amazing again! I love Virgil's and the only thing I'm sad about it's that there are no Virgil's steakhouse here in italy
Try trainwreck fries trust me!!
Ps: wonderful atmosphere so relaxing and really kind waiters

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My favorite food is barbeque, and this place serves some of the best. Very reasonable prices for the neighborhood. We haven't had the chance to eat here since our last trip to NYC 10 years ago, but it was just as good as we remembered it. We went at 5:30 PM, were told the wait would be 45 minutes for a table without a reservation, but it took almost an hour, as people were packed inside waiting for a table. We waited at the bar, with reasonably priced drinks. We told our waiter that we were in a bit of a hurry due to having tickets to a nearby Broadway show, and we were served very quickly.

The brisket was lean and outstanding, as were the ribs and the sides. Everything was in generous portions.

Hopefully, it won't be another 10 years before we can eat here again.

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

This meal was amazing! If I had to recommend only one place to eat in NYC, this would be it. My husband and I shared the plate, which had BBQ ribs, BBQ chicken, BBQ pulled pork, BBQ beef brisket, fries, cheese grits and corn muffins. Wow! The waiter was lovely, so helpful. We didn't know what grits were like, so he said if we ordered them and didn't like them, he'd replace them. Didn't need to though. Couldn't manage a desert. Very reasonable prices. I wish there was one of these in the UK!