“Excellent as usual.”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The Service was superb as usual, However, I thought the seasoning lacked a little bit this time. But everything was as fresh as you can image and wonderful. you can never not enjoy the food here.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,909)

Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I have dined at Le Bernardin several times for lunches and dinners over the years, and have always been impressed with the consistent quality of the food and service as well as the serene ambiance. I'm not sure if it's possible to improve upon what is a practically perfect experience, though this time the food seemed even more sublime than usual, and the wine pairings married even more harmoniously with the food. We went all out with the Chef's Tasting Menu and it was worth every cent. It would be impossible to pick only one dish as the best, however, unless you don't eat meat, the "surf and turf" which consisted of a white tuna that literally melted in your mouth, paired with a juicy, succulent chunk of Kobe beef, is not to be missed. We were celebrating a special occasion with a dear nephew who was visiting the city for a conference and they brought a special dessert and made him feel as special as he is, so we couldn't be happier to have chosen Le Bernardin. We're already talking about when we might return.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Mostly lives up to the hype. Brooklyn bee and 'coco' cocktails were outstanding. The second one was like drinking a slice of coconut custard pie, but not too sweet. I would definitely try a cocktail here. Nice glass if Riesling with the food. Varied selection of breads - I think we each had three different types throughout the meal - with a decadent butter dish that they kept replacing as we used it up by lavishly smearing gobs of it on each bite. They kept coming back to offer more bread with each course (and I could not say no!)
Thinly pounded tuna and foie gras were surprisingly good together. (But when is foie NOT good?) Probably the best dish at the table was the scallops in brown butter dashi. My wife almost lifted up the scallop shell to drink the remaining sauce. Salmon in chervil sauce had the texture of warm butter - just melted in my mouth. Skate wing also good. Desserts were sublime. Atmosphere was cool and clean, definitely my taste, but did not blow me away.

2  Thank CapeCoralEater
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Visited with my wife on an anniversary trip and luckily had the privilege to eat a Daniel the night before. If you're into the sleak modern style then this place is for you. Not over the top modern but certainly not the old world charm & glamour of Daniel. No comparison in my view, except for the food which was immense in both amazing restaurants

1  Thank PatG657
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I came here to do the tasting lunch ($76.00) on the advice of a food writer, who said it was the best deal in New York. The entrance is inobtrusive, the interior, beautiful with high ceilings, white orchids in tall vases and a large painting of the ocean commanding the room. White tablecloths, leather chairs and sparkling wine glasses greeted us at the table. Service was excellent, attentive but not obtrusive. In fact, subtlety reigns at Le Bernadin, from the interior, to the service, to the reverence with which they treat the seafood dishes. When we sat down, I thought I saw author Jay McInerney (of Bright Lights, Big City) talking to Eric Ripert (chef of Le Bernadin) in the lounge area. The sighting of these two stars (one literary, the other culinary) sent me into an excited state of frenzy. Having drinks in the lounge on a summer afternoon in New York- it seemed like such an F. Scott Fitzgerald thing to do. At any rate, on to the reason we came there- the food. The tasting menu is divided into starters (almost raw or barely touched). I opted for the pounded tuna over a toasted baguette and foie gras, my husband got the scallops cooked in brown butter dashi. We both got a glass of wine. His was a Cotes de Juva chardonnay, which he loved ($22!), and mine a sauvignon blanc ($16). In the day and age when a ten dollar glass of wine doesn't make me blink, a twenty-two dollar glass did. Even so, my husband enjoyed it so much, we ordered one more glass to split. There was a wide variety of bread offered, from a simple french baguette to an olive foccacia. The waiter made wine and food recommendations and was helpful, in general. I liked my tuna very much (apparently a favorite of diners), with the silky tuna draped over the thin, crunchy bread and unctuous pate, with olive oil puddled at the bottom. My husband's scallops had a very nice presentation in scallop shells, over seaweed and salt. I borrowed some of his salt for my tuna (sacrilege, I'm sure), as there were no salt and pepper shakers at the table. The two large scallops were lightly cooked and in a flavorful broth. Some of the items available on the tasting menu have an upcharge (like $120 for caviar). We didn't get any of these items. For my entrée, I got the crispy black sea bass with wood ear mushrooms and water chestnuts. Again, I loved the subtle combination of flavors and textures and it was a large portion, the crispy skin still on the fish. My husband ordered the pan roasted monkfish with pea puree and a black pepper sauce. The monk fish was sliced to resemble lobster, with sliced truffles in between and pea tendrils garnishing the top. He adored this dish and the meal, in general. If you absolutely don't eat meat, duck is available. There is also a red snapper cooked in herbs de provence salt that is available, but it must be ordered 24 hours in advance and it's for 2 people. My favorite part of the meal was actually dessert. I had a salted milk ice cream, with caramelized phyllo and thyme gelee. It sounds a little weird, but was delicious. My husband had a combination of ice cream and sorbets, presented in quenelles and lovely. Complimentary little squares of financiers (cakes with almond flour, eggs whites and brown butter) were rich and delicious, as were the refreshing fruit gelees. It was quite a spectacular meal, very civilized, very French and very New York with a spectacular attention to detail. Gentleman are required to wear jackets, which we were told when we made the reservation. There is also a 3 course lunch available in the Lounge, for a more reasonable $45, with $5 going to City Harvest in New York. I may do that next time (it's more casual) and who knows? I might bump into a famous author.

1  Thank Glee47