“Rather disappointed!”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We had 4 course dinner here and almost everything was clearly not enough for a ***restaurant. We 'd browsed the menu beforehand and were looking forward to the Geoduck (google some pictures and stand in awe!) but unfortunately they weren't available. We had razorclams the same way and they were euh... nothing to rave about. King crab to follow, in a custard sauce, bathed in broth at the table. The latter didn't become the dish at all because the custard was breaking down in the fluid and that sight was not very enjoyable. The main dish: poached skate in a mustard-citrus emulsion was good, but could have been a little hotter if they would have left the bones, something I don't mind, especially with a fish like skate. Dessert was also nothing to commemorate, but then again, we don't have a sweet tooth. On top of this I had a whisky sour which tasted rather sweet, again a mistake most Americans make in preparing cocktails. The ambiance in the restaurant was quite informal and that is the most positive thing I can say, along with the impeccable service.

1  Thank Marc-VdC
There are newer reviews for Le Bernardin

Reviewed April 10, 2014

We ate here the night we got married in New York. Our expectations were high, and if anything they were exceeded. We loved the decor and ambience, relatively quiet because of how the seating is spaced. The service was impeccable and our food was delicious. While it is expensive, there were no markups and things like coffee after dinner were included with the prix fixe price, so we were actually pleasantly surprised by the bill. We loved it and will go back for special occasions when we are in New York! There is definitely a focus on fish and pure simple ingredients, and that was perfect for our party. We did have to get on the phone and make the reservations the day they were available for our date (about a month ahead).

1  Thank Susan A
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

if you want a formal dinner room you need to reserve at least a month to guarantee a table especilly after 6:30pm. the lounge is a great way to try walking in. first come first serve basis only if you walk in. small servings but very good quality. i suggest to come early if you dont have reservation, sometimes waiting can be an a hour.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This restaurant has been receiving great ratings for decades, but it was clear from every detail that the desire for excellence burns brightly. The evening was perfect and was one of the best meals of my life.

1  Thank TorontoEdmonton
Reviewed April 4, 2014

If you're looking for exquisitely cooked fish and seafood, coupled with some of the most personalized, personable and professional service available this side of the Atlantic, you can't do better than Le Bernardin.

After a strange phone interaction with one of the least friendly front staff confirming my reservation, I was worried that the service would match the cold, unwelcoming attitude I got from that person, who either was having a real bad day or was just plain always unpleasant. When your job is to check someone's reservations prior to them coming to your restaurant, you'd think you'd want to leave a favorable impression, right? Go figure.

Anyway, from the moment my wife and I stepped into the restaurant, my trepidation vanished. We were greeted warmly with a ready smile and escorted to our ample table, seated at the absolutely most comfortable of all curved leather couches I've ever experienced.

Good cocktails, tho they were out of fig spread for the 1 rum drink that I coveted... Aps included amazing, crisp yet nearly raw scallops and thinly sliced, perfectly arranged artichoke slices, in a buttery lemon sauce.

And then came the mains: perfectly cooked seabass with truffles, and slightly overcooked duck breast in a cherry sauce. Followed by very tasty desserts. They remembered it was my wife's birthday from the reservation I made, and brought her dessert with a lit candle. Nice.

All in all, one of those timeless lunches, a treat for the tastebuds, in an elegant setting with impeccable service.

1  Thank DCEuropa