“A true culinary experience”
Review of Le Bernardin

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This gastronomical experience left us wanting more as we dined on fresh oysters, celery root purée soup with bits of lobster and for the entree we enjoyed a baked striped bass with bouillabaisse sauce. It didn't end there as we ordered mascarpone mousse for dessert. We chose our meal from the city harvest menu and ate at the lounge where reservations are not required. Attention to detail was not lost on Eric Ripert, whose wait staff were consummate professionals. I would return to this restaurant for it's great tasting food, the manner in which it is presented and a level of service I have yet to see in other dining establishments.

1  Thank bababaya
Write a ReviewReviews (2,909)

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband would give it a 5, me a 4.5. Excellent service and food. I am not too fond of raw seafood, hence the 4.5
Earliest reservation we could get for a Friday night was at 10:30 pm. Cute waiter with cute French accent another plus.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I designed a long weekend getaway around our 2:30 lunch reservation here (the only slot available when I tried on the first day of the monthly open table). Like many others, I adore Eric Ripert. Some people lose their minds over George Clooney or Brad Pitt. For me, it's Eric Ripert. I was actually nervous on the cab ride there....hoping I just might get a glimpse of him, even from afar. And of course I was excited about the dining experience as well. Which did not disappoint. In April we dined at Bouley and in July, a Jean Georges restaurant. We thought those could not be topped. We were wrong. We went with the Chef's tasting menu and every single course was divine. Superb. An extraordinary food experience. If I lived closer, I would wear only Target clothing just so I could afford to eat here monthly.
My only issues relate to our dining experience in general. Think we may have been the last lunch reservation of the day, so as a result, we were given the worst table in the restaurant, next to the server station. The clanging of the silverware and constant activity was so loud right behind my head that my husband and I could barely hear each other. My husband became so frustrated that he started to become snippy with me, asking me to speak louder....and I WAS. And I don't think shouting would have been welcomed there. It was a truly frustrating situation that put a small damper on what was supposed to be the highlight of our trip. The dinner service was excellent but lacked enthusiasm. No one conversed with us, except for explaining each course. The female sommelier seemed miserable. And since we were the last to leave, we felt as if they were annoyed with every minute we stayed beyond the gradual emptying of the restaurant.
Sadly, I did not see my love, Eric. Thought about rushing the kitchen but didn't want to risk a permanent ban from this amazing restaurant:)
Hopefully, I will find another opportunity to visit Le Bernardin once again. Maybe next time I will make my reservation under G. Clooney. Or A. Bourdain. Perhaps my table would be better.

1  Thank Kirstin R
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Certainly one of the very best meals I ever had. Outstanding Sommelier (Aldo Sohm), super creative wine pairings, incredibly tasty food, perfect service. Le Bernardin is hard to beat.

Take the Chefs menu with the wine pairing and you are in for an evening of sheer indulgence.

Positive surprise at the end of the meal was the very reasonable bill. Excellent value for money. A MUST visit when in New York.

2  Thank GFK88
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My first impression as I stepped into Le Bernadin was a pompous upper class restaurant where you had to speak in hushed whispers.
However, once our waitress arrived, that illusion was immediately broken by a gushing welcome and some amazing amuse bouche's.
My girlfriend and I chatted through the meal with her and we mentioned inpassing that we were trying a couple of restaurants.
At the end of the meal she surprised us with a brand new zagat guide as she had noted we were foodies and it would come in handy!! Amazing level of attention to detail!

1  Thank Wui Seng Q